Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

Is it actually realistically possible to optimize the holding page of a new website so that it achieves a decent search engine ranking?

I have everything I can think of with the actual pages, ie. meta tags etc. using the guidance of some recommended books, and submitted the site to various search engines such as Google and Yahoo. However I can't help but feel although the person I am doing this for is being slightly over ambitious in his hopes for this holding pages ranking.... At the moment it shows up on Google only when you search for the name in the URL... not for any keywords.

I keep hearing a lot about having other sites link to you, but how exactly do you get other websites to link to a brand new website that has nothing but a holding page.. i can't see what would be in it for them.

I am thinking that if this new site is to be findable in the search engine world the best way of starting this off would be through some actual promotion rather than relying on some supposed magical SEO to take a mere holding page from nothing to something....

Please advise. Thanks

Member #
    Well, and the moderators aren't going to like this, but, forums/boards such as this are a great place to start to generate back links (sites that link to yours).

In addition to submitting to the various engines make sure your site is listed on Dmoz (www.dmoz.org). Make sure you do a search for the most appropriate section to add your link. Since it is a human edited it can sometimes take a looooong time actually get listed so be patient. If you continue to re-submit you can **** off some testy editors!

If your client is putting little to no money into improving SEO then you should prep him that it could take months to really notice any movement at all. Of course it also depends on how competitive your targeted phrases are and if it's a regional business.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It is possible that you could rank for keywords in your niche so long as you keep on building backlinks to that page - using the keywords as anchor texts. There are actually several ways to do it:
    Directory Submissions - targeted links at high PR directories
    Blog and Forum participation - to high PR and frequently crawled sites
    Social Bookmarking
    Press Releases
    Classified Ads
    Article Marketing - submit to high PR directories, could also serve as link baits
    Link Exchange - with relevant and authority sites
    Link Baits - for organic linking
    Etc. etc.
    OneIMS.com - SEO and Website Solutions
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Member #
    Hummmmmmmmmmm.............................Yeah all right but one thing you forget that is post forum with your signature.....and this is good way to make backlink for your site.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Another thing to consider is proper anchoring of your keywords in your backlinks - be sure to vary it so it would look more natural in the eyes of the SE's
    OneIMS.com - SEO and Website Solutions
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Remove Ads