Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am wondering if someone can clarify for me how backlinks work. As I understood it, the term "backlinks" simply referred to your site being linked on another site. So say I had a site that listed the 10 best practices for new web designers. And webdesignsforums.net thought it was a great piece so they placed a link here to it. That would be a backlink right?

The problem I finding is that despite my site being linked in several places, Google, Yahoo, and MSN all show me as having 0 back links, while Altavista and AlltheWeb show me as having 50+ backlinks.

What I really don't understand is that Google Analytics shows some of the referring sites as a traffic sources. Yet a link:mysite.com search on Google shows zero results.

Can someone fill me in on what I may not be understanding?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    just because they referred to you doesn't mean there's a link. For example, I'm on this site. I then type in a different URL. Analytics will show the site I came from, yet there's no link.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I should clarify...Analytics is showing sites where I know I have links on the site as referring sites. I realize that someone could be visiting one of those sites and decide that rather than click the link they would manually type the address in their address bar, but that would have to be a really unusual circumstance. They have to be clicking on the link.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    For Google, use the Google Webmaster Tools for a more complete listing of you backlinks. You can also go to Yahoo Site Explorer to see which sites are actually linking to you...
    OneIMS.com - SEO and Website Solutions
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Member #
    Well, if your question is what is backlink and hows that work then i want to tell u that backlink is importent to make website pagerank better.like directory submission,bookmarking etc...

Member #
    Thank you for the replies. My question was generated from the fact that Google Webmaster Tools and the link: operator were not showing results for backlinks to my site when I am quite sure that google is aware of many backlinks to my site.

I have since found this thread and this thread which seem to express many of the problems that I have been experiencing.

Member #
    Also google looks at the quality of the pages that are linking to you and you link to. It is important to link to quality web sites and being linked from quality web sites that are in your related subjects. I don't know if this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Try using the Yahoo Site Explorer in order to see more of your backlinks
    OneIMS.com - SEO and Website Solutions
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Remove Ads