Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: SEO and aliases

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,

Im just wondering about links to aliases. One of my sites has several aliases and I want to know if I should choose one and have all my backlinks point to that or have my backlinks pointing to all of the different aliases.

e.g my site is quickplaysport.com and has the aliases quickplaysport.co.uk and quickplaysport.net

If I had 3 backlinks would it be better to point them all to quickplaysport.com or have one link pointing to each of the aliases?

Would there be any harm in pointing to all 3 aliases? would google think it was duplicated content or anything like that.

Thanks

Member #
    Are the three websites exactly the same? If so then I would focus on one.

If they have different content then you would want relevant links pointing to relevant content on the appropriate site.

I think honestly is the best policy in the long run in you want to gain reputation with search engines. Especially google, they are hip to the various linking strategies folk are turning to now that the basis for serp has shifted, I predict more change in the future to prevent folks from simply buying links and conducting all other types of schemes to rank higher rather than simply focusing on good content and building links with other good, reputable and relevant companies

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    there is only 1 website on 1 hosting account but I have several domain names that all point to it.

I think Il point all my links to the .com instead of the .co.uk or the others, does anyone know any reason to do otherwise?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    yea i'm also interested in this topic, do the other aliases get SEO according to the primary domain name ? or do they even get optimized at all?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Point them all to one. If you don't do that, then make the other domain names send a 301 redirect to the domain that you consider your `main' domain. Otherwise your ranking will sometimes be divided between the various domains, which is bad.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Point them all to one. If you don't do that, then make the other domain names send a 301 redirect to the domain that you consider your `main' domain. Otherwise your ranking will sometimes be divided between the various domains, which is bad.
    Yup! A 301 permanent redirect would be the apt solution for the OP's problem.
    OneIMS.com - SEO and Website Solutions
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Remove Ads