Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Banned
    Member #
    I have been asked to help with a site that is using some flash. Another issue with the site is that each page size is over 100K almost 175K. What do I need to be concered with as far SEO goes? Does Flash really have that much of a negitive effect on site SEO? There are still alot of HTML content and text. Please advise.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Think of Flash as an Image. In and of itself, it doesn't affect SEO. But if you make your entire site out of Flash (or an Image), it will have very poor SEO (except in Google).

Take a look at Transio, though: Search Engine ptimized while still using Flash content

Member #
    Smoseley nailed it!

A site built-in flash basically have a poor SEO. Otherwise, if it's just an area of the site where it is coded wisely then that wouldn't be a problem.

I reckon however that there is an article recently that says Flash will now be indexed by Google & Yahoo.

But it basically comes down to semantics: Flash doesn't have anything equivalent to semantic HTML and SE algorithms are largely based on semantic markup.

Of course Adobe will be quick to make a song and dance about this, but I'm not holding my breath. Indexing content within flash files will be a good thing for users who just want to get the text and cut out all the crappy animations. But in terms of SEO, this will not help small websites in fierce competition for higher rankings.
    Symmetri Design Solutions
    Custom WordPress Designers/Developers

Member #
    yes, it has a very negative effect because SE dcan read flash, images, javascripts, etc., but you can give call you image so that it can be found.

Member #
    ^ what did bizcoaching said? :speechless:
    Symmetri Design Solutions
    Custom WordPress Designers/Developers

Banned
    Member #
    Flash won't hurt, text content will be important to your SEO efforts, so make sure you have relevant text information.

Member #
    Flash certainly doesn't matter too much, as long as it is used in moderation and there is plenty of text on the site. My own site uses a bit of Flash. A site composed entirely of Flash will not be indexed at all as there is no textual content for the Google bots to scan and index. However I have heard that in the future Google is having plans to start indexing sites using this kind of output but it may be some years away yet.
    Sussex Web Development - freelance website design and e-commerce solutions in Sussex - http://www.sussexwebdevelopment.com

Member #
    Just to chime in on the discussion:

Googlebot CAN index Flash sites now - you can see their official announcement here and you can read Brian Ussery's research and testing on how effectively it indexes Flash sites here.

What I take from everything I've read so far is that although Googlebot can index Flash sites now, its limited ability (compared to its ability to index HTML) can actually hurt your search engine ranking (mainly because Google will sometimes link directly to your embedded SWF, which is not the way 99% of all Flash is intended to be accessed). Adobe and Google (and I believe Yahoo!) are all working together to improve search engines' abilities to index Flash, so here's hoping it will improve in the future.

In the mean time, using Flash on your website does NOT mean that you're site won't get indexed or even will get indexed poorly. As many of the posters above point out, using Flash elements on your site for certain key content almost certainly won't hurt your rankings. However, even if you have an all-Flash site, there is a lot you can do to make sure that your site can be indexed and indexed well by Google. Optimize your title and metatags for proper keywords is a big start. Use SWFObject to embed your Flash and provide well-built HTML as alternative content (Googlebot will index BOTH your Flash AND your HTML alternative content). I put together a brief tutorial on optimizing Flash for SEO this way on my blog. And finally, remember that indexing the content on your page is only one part of the puzzle for getting good rankings on search engines: it's equally important to have other highly-ranked sites linking back to yours.

Just my two cents!

Best,

--eric

Member #
    Anything inside a flash file can't be found/read by a search engine so it wont help you at all in SEO.

If you got links outside the flash files (i.e. in HTML) then the search engines can find your other pages, otherwise they can't.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by robseolas
    Anything inside a flash file can't be found/read by a search engine so it wont help you at all in SEO.
    Sorry to disagree with you Rob, but this just isn't true. Googlebot now indexes Flash files - you can read the news on Google’s announcement on its blog, Google’s Webmaster Blog announcement, and Adobe’s official announcement. You can also check sites like Brian Ussery and FlashNSeo to see the testing people are doing on this. The results are in: Google IS indexing Flash (although how well it does it is a different matter).

See my post above for some more helpful links on what to do in order to optimize Flash for search engines.

Rock on!

--eric

Remove Ads