Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a site that is regularly updated and often a page needs to be replaced with entirely new content because the old content expired. In this case, the title, content and URL all need to change. Because there are so many new pages being added, the 301 redirects would pile-up to an unmanageable number.

I have an XML sitemap that is updated every time new content is added or replaced. There aren't any internal links with 404 errors and it doesn't make sense to leave expired content live, but I also don't want to cause a penalty by removing pages that are no longer valid and having lots of 404 errors for pages that have been indexed by search engines. Would having regular 404 errors from expired pages that have been removed cause a penalty with Google et al.?

Member #
    I don't think it would cause a penalty, I can be certain that it will really harm your SEO.

Your site's ranking is dependent on incoming links as well as content. If you invalidate all incoming links with 404 messages then you are destroying your page rank.

This is for a coupon site right? Can't you just put a message at the top of the coupon page. "This coupon has expired". This way you will preserve incoming links and help your SEO

Member #
    Hi Jason. This is for the coupons site. The problem is that each promotion has a specific ID. Often, a store will update the promotion for an ID and the new promotion is completely different than the old one. I'm thinking of doing one of the following:

1. Base all of the URLs on the ID, so that the expired promotions can be replaced with the new promotions without replacing the URL. The disadvantages are that keywords in the URL are lost. Also, for indexed entries that have not been spidered yet, it will possibly lead searches to an entirely unrelated promotion.

2. Create a custom 404 page explaining that the promotion has probably expired and have links to the popular sections etc. However, for sites that are aggregating the feed and also anywhere else that links are coming back for specific promotions rather than the categories, the link will be broken. Now that I am seeing how many promotions change, there are only going to be more 404 pages in the future which is not good.

3. Just leave the old promotion intact and not worry about having tons of expired promotions. Try and figure out how to have an expired message displayed in addition to the expiration date, that dynamically appears based on the expiration date.

Considering your comment that it will harm SEO having the 404 errors, option 3 is probably the best.

Member #
    It may not be a direct penality by google but you loose many potential customers. So its better to do a redirection

Member #
    I decided to leave the expired pages intact and manage the duplicates in the pre-processing. There would way too many 404s if I keep replacing the expired pages.

Member #
    Its better to redirect the 404 page to sitemap... This is very good in SEO...

Banned
    Member #
    404 server response does not strengthen the trust of a certain website regarding google.

Member #
    Yes. 404 is not good. Much better to either 301 redirect or leave expired content published.

Remove Ads