Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I found the following from October 2002 (!) and it threw me for a loop:

-----

Death Of A Meta Tag

By Danny Sullivan, Search Engine Watch, Oct 1, 2002

Traffick.com's Andrew Goodman wrote recently in an essay about meta tags, "If somebody would just declare the end of the metatag era, full stop, it would make it easier on everyone."

I'm happy to oblige, at least in the case of the meta keywords tag. Now supported by only one major crawler-based search engine -- Inktomi -- the value of adding meta keywords tags to pages seems little worth the time. In my opinion, the meta keywords tag is dead, dead, dead. And like Andrew, good riddance, I say!

-----

I've been adding them all this time out of a force of habit. It can't really be that they're irrelevant and unused by the search engines any more, can it?

Are the keyword meta-tags really a waste of time? Do you still take the time to add them?
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Short answer: Yes, they're useless.

Member #
    Thanks, Steven. Strange though, because just picking three random and very large websites, ESPN, Amazon, NYTimes, all three still have the keywords. I guess it doesn't hurt to have them just in case.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    I'm guesing those big websites you mentioned have had them there since the creation of the site and don't see the point removing them. It's not like they're doing your site any harm, it's just that they don't help you anymore. So from their point of view it probably istn't worth it.

Member #
    First, I would not rely on SEO advice from 2002; too much has changed since then and continued to.

That said; I would say that meta tags do not the value that they used to and that is because they were abused by tactics such as keyword stuffing, etc. In today's SEO climate it is considered a best practice to employ a unique meta keyword and meta description tag to each page. While the value is not immense, you always want to cover all of your bases; especially as the search marketing landscape becomes more and more competitive.

Hope that helps.

Member #
    I used meta tags.I think it is not useless.google shows what exactly i am giving in meta tags.

Member #
    Google doesnt seem to count them, but other search engines does. So I guess its good to have them.

Member #
    It is not useless. What you write in meta description shows up in google search result descriptions. It is not very useful if you expecting google to improve your ranking just because you have included your keywords in the meta tags. If you are optimizing your site for search engines then I would definitely recommend that you create proper meta tags with relevant text for your site. Also don't forget to include your keywords in the title tag of your web page.

Member #
    Meta descriptions are still used but meta keywords have lost value due to people keyword stuffing back before the 2005 google florida update. But all search engines are different, but Google doesn't use meta keywords as a factor anymore.

Member #
    I guess google ignore them but there still search engine does .They are useful at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads