Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Redirects & SEO

Member #
    I have to set up three or four sites in the next couple of weeks with re-directs. (That is, unless someone can tell me how to host on a small server - I've always left that level of stuff to the people I pay to do it!)

The people I work for have a moderate size server of their own, but with really clumsy URLs. I am going to get some more descriptive domain names for various projects.

I know there is more than one way to set up a re-direct, but what is the LEAST apt to scare away the search engine spiders?

Any thoughts? (And, if you do - can you also paste the code snippet here -- in case -- I've been thrown in way over my head on a number of projects (they know that -- it's all part of the glory of being a graduate-student employee) and so am getting lost even at the basics at times.

No kidding, could not access a page I was working on one day, and fussed to one of the applet programmers who dryly pointed out to me that I'd left off the .html - DUH-OH!

I'm no spring chicken, but I am WAY to young for senile dementia. :ichatnervous:

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Google for example accepts permanent redirects... I have used them without affecting a page's value from what I could tell!...

You can do these in the .htaccess file... See example below:

Redirect 301 /kathryn/history-of-beach-huts.php http://www.beach-huts.com/history-of-beach-huts.php

This redirects from page: /kathryn/history-of-beach-huts.php

To: http://www.beach-huts.com/history-of-beach-huts.php

Hope this helps -Hagen
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Remove Ads