Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been optimizing my site for a few years and increasing traffic. My competitors and I have been increasing at the same rate over the last couple of years. In July one of my competitors had a huge jump in their Alexa and Compete rankings. I think the traffic for that month was around 1 million where we typically are around 5000. Shortly after that happened they moved to the top of google for our desired keywords. 90% of the traffic was from India and it was all for the same search phrase.
    My two thoughts about this are:
    1) There has been a lot of question if the Alexa ranking really means anything. I think this proves it does given that you have proper SEO in place.
    2) What could have caused this?
    Rob Dalton (Kolea Rentals)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Sounds like maybe someone else figured out that Alexa rankings mean something and is now offering "fake" Alexa traffic based out of India. Could even be a bot that sends fake data to Alexa or an app that renders a browser and sends traffic to a site.

Another thing it could be is something like BrowserMob testing of the site. You never know!

Member #
    Steven,
    It would be nice if we could figure it out (ha). I read a lot on the internet about India is the number one place in the world that uses the Alexa toolbar. My guess would be that it is a buy clicks deal based out of India. I just am trying to figure out which one.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Well I can't help ya there... all I can say is that Google is usually very quick to catch onto abuse of their algorithms and usually winds up blacklisting sites that try to sneak in with shifty tactics like that. So don't be surprised if you see your competitor's site drop to the end of the list some time in the future!!!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quick PS on Alexa traffic. WDF recently (last few days) saw it's highest Alexa ranking ever (almost 50,000 in "rank"!!). I did some research and saw a HUGE spike in ALL Alexa "reach" over the last week... for virtually every site in their directory. Something weird must be going on with them!

Member #
    Somehow mine did not shoot up. Weird

Member #
    I think that Alexa rank is important, but it is only one small piece of the SEO puzzle. I am not sure how your competitor is artificially improving his rank, but as smoseley said... Google will surely figure it out eventually and blacklist his site.

I wouldn't waste any time or resources on figuring these schemes out. I would just focus on legitimate ways of improving your Alexa rank and SERPs.

Just try to increase traffic to your site from people with the toolbar installed. One way is to get involved with forums, blogs and other sites with a high number of web designers and developers. Another way is to add posts about design and other tech topics to your website and promote them at social networking sites.

Basically, if you contribute to the web design and technology community, more people will be interested in visiting your site and finding out about you and your content. These interested visitors will increase you traffic, raise your Alexa rank, improve your SERPs and all the added visibility will bring even more visitors. Contribution is a self perpetrating process, however there are no free rides... it will require your continued involvement in these communities.

Anyway, like I said, try to forget about the schemers, scammers and spammers... I know it is irritating when they do underhanded tricks to get ahead, but don't lower yourself to their level.... it will all catch up to them eventually and you don't want to be involved when Google catches onto their tricks.
    Charles ~ i24Designs
    Nashville Web Design | Nashville Seo

Member #
    My advise would be to stick with what has been working for you thus far. If you try to undermine the system, like your competitor apparently has, you might end up getting blacklisted right along with him.
    My software never has bugs... It just has random features.
    Professional Website Design | Web Site Hosting
    The Green Speak Network | Live Green Forum

Remove Ads