Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    As far as news websites, I was reading an article about submitting your website to google news, and one item stated that the URL of individual articles should be SEO friendly and contain keywords instead of numbers. Is this an important issue? Right now my website has individual article URLs as follows:
    http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/cate...page.php?id=15
    is this not an SEO friendly article URL? and is this a big issue as far as SEO or it doesnt matter so much? I mean what is the overall importance...80-90% of my website content rests within these individual news and articles. so if this is a problem it may represent an even more serious issue for my website.

Member #
    I would highly recommend you utilize mod rewrites to change the URL variables into something "friendlier."

This URL:

www.mysite.com/pink-elephants-in-tutus/

Will provide MUCH better search engine visibility than:

www.mysite.com/?topic=15

Member #
    Ok one question. I heard mod rewrite for the first time now and still making my research on it....
    My question is, without using mod rewrite, I was thinking to go into my php file, which brings up the whole article, and have it modify the url display, so that url now inlcudes, say, the title, or first few words from the title of the article....My articles in database has separate column for their titles anyway. So this way I modify the url for good. Isnt this a better solution or is this not doable?

Member #
    Well you'd still need to have something like:

www.mysite.com?page=this-is-a-title

Which doesn't really solve the issue of remove URL variables - though technically better than your old version. Using mod rewrites allows you to optimize the best way possible - not to mention it's "the best practice."

Member #
    so as far as I understood, you are saying, I dont need to do anything in my php file, but i need to go in to htaccess and change the "display" of url (but not the real url) by using a mod rewrite. so real url stays the same, but the display is search engine friendly. did I get it right?

Member #
    Here's an example of mod rewrite:

Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^sku-([A-Za-z0-9-]+)\.html$ product-detail.php?sku=$1 [L]
    Which means that with a URL like:

www.mysite.com/sku-188PPST532.html

It's actually calling the page 'product-detail.php' with a URL variable "sku."

Remove Ads