Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,

I have recently been contacted by a company in China who has setup a business with the same name as my business. They have informed me of their intentions to register the chinese variations on our domain name and the internet keyword for our company name.

Does anyone know what these keywords are? are they anything special or are this company just using my company name as their meta keywords within their code? If these keywords are something important are they international or localised and will this company registering my company name have a detrimental effect on my business even if we never intend on opening a branch in China?

Thanks,

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    They're either off their rocker or something was lost in translation.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks, thats what I thought.

They have sent me a form to apply for this keyword and the Chinese domain names, they want nearly 150 Euros for this keyword so Im starting to think its just a big scam.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Bingo
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Just got a reply from the Chinese registrar:

Internet keyword is a keyword on the internet . It is peculiar to China. Once applicant register it , this name will be protected by Chinese laws, anyone can't use it again on the internet. Also, it refer to search engines searching criteria and will get the high search rate on Chinese local search engines.

Maybe its just a Chinese thing then but will I suddenly have Chinese officials trying to sue me for using this keyword if I dont register it and what could they actually do to my company as I'd of thought Chinese laws dont affect me unless Im trading in China?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    That may be valid in China, especially with their government's tight grip over intenet access there, but they can't do squat outside of their own country.

Are you designing web pages for Chinese companies / viewers? If not, I'd just ignore them.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as I have no business interests over there, and as such I'm not up to date with anything over there.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for your input Wired, you have reenforced what I was thinking anyway so I think I will just ignore it, although I am tempted to register the Chinese domain names and try to sell them back to this new company but that could be scam all along.

jj1
    Member #
    Don't pay any money, certainly not if your custom is outside China.
    A couple of my new websites have company names that are in use by other companies out there on the web - they're older companies but have only just got a website. For each website, I create one page (either home page or about us page) which targets their company name and then get some links to it.
    For that matter, we have the same company name (uniquewebsites.co.uk) that some company in America also has (uniquewebsites.com.). That's pure chance and it doesn't interfere with our business. By doing onsite SEO and building up some backlinks - and also allowing the website to age - we've now got our website no 3 for "unique websites" (if you're Googling from the UK).
    I've no idea how anyone can register a keyword - as far as I'm aware, any website is free to target any keyword and Google has their own algo based on domain name + onsite SEO + links + age of website.

Remove Ads