Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: sitemap

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus View Post
    I normally don't post on really old threads, because, well, they are really old and the information in them is generally OLD as well.

Since 2 of the last 4 people that posted on this thread have been banned, visitors that are not members should take this info with a grain of salt.

Sitemap importance is going to vary by site ( Period ).

sitemaps can play a very important role in making sure that all your pages at least have a url pointing to them so search crawlers can find them. If your site navigation is JavaScript based, the site map becomes even more important as search engines DO NOT read or parse JS. Sure, if your page links are visible in the JS, then search engines are likely to be able to GUESS what the page urls are, but that's not even a guarantee.

Immediately ? don't think so, your site map page is no different than any other page on the site, once you update it, it may take days or weeks for the search engines to see it, update their indexes and add any new links to their crawlers indexes for discovery. so Immediately, no.

Importance ( I think they were referencing Google sitemaps, although they didn't indicate it ), but a site map on your site is nothing more than a list of links in a search engines eyes, no way to specify anything other than the URL of the page.

Structure ? Really ? how ? no, again, it's just a list of links... if your pages ( therefore the links provided ) are in a definable structure, the search engine crawler will just index the pages, the search engine will determine your site structure based on the links, nothing more nothing less.

If you have a 10 page site, you might just be wasting your time, unless of course there is some other reason as to why certain pages are not being crawled.

Check your log files, it will tell you which pages are being requested and by whom... if you see a distinct lack of activity on certain pages, 1st make sure you are not doing anything to keep search engines from getting to them ( IE; nofollow, noindex meta tags, robots.txt entries )... if all that is good, then perhaps a sitemap will help search engines find those other pages...

Your site map on your site is just as important as any other page on your site, you must make sure the information is correct and current... having a site map with links to dead or non existent pages can be more harm to the overall site than no site map at all.
    would have answered, but you nailed it!

Member #
    Their are 2 types of sitemaps - sitemap.xml/ sitemap.xml.gz and a regular html/php sitemap designed more for your visitors. The xml version is what tells the spiders various important details of each and every page/post/category/tag and the last modification time, scale of importance 1-10, and a few other features.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bettis007 View Post
    and a few other features.
    what are the other features ? Please explain... I'd be interested in hearing

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Or you could read what WZ said as he explained it much more clearly and accurately than you did.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It is very important as cralwer actually reads your sitemap only for getting your site information so it is very important as a SEO point of view.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads