Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: sitemap

Member #
    What's the importance of sitemap?

Member #
    Sitemap is a page where all the pages of your site is placed for it to be easily crawled by search engine spiders for ranking.

jj1
    Member #
    For large websites, you can have an on-site sitemap for your customers - basically another web page with hyperlinks to all the other pages grouped in some form of meaningful/helpful order.
    In addition, you need to have separate sitemaps on your server - I believe one sitemap for Google and one for the other engines. With my Google sitemap, I tell Google how important I think each page is and how frequently each page's info will change.
    My partner does the sitemap side of things, so can't be of much more use but a few recommendations I've seen today in a different forum for producing sitemaps are:
    http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb3-mods/php_google_sitemap_xml_generator_free.php
    This online generator does up to 500 pages: http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/
    GSite Crawler http://gsitecrawler.com/ a free piece of software that sits on your computer. It needs a little configuration to get it returning the results you want but it does its job, used on sites with thousands of pages.
    http://www.xml-sitemaps.com,

Member #
    Sitemaps contains the important pages of your site. Submitting its url to search engines can easily give them a place where they can find your indicated pages and will rank those in search results.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As for me a sitemap greatly simplifies work with a site. I can easily find the information which causes my interest. A sitemap is really a convenient tool!

Banned
    Member #
    If you have huge website then you can use multiple sitemaps because google allows 50K urls in one XML sitemap.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sitemaps offer the opportunity to inform search engines immediately about any changes on your site.

Member #
    Sitemap is important for your site because it's increase your site traffic and navigate visitors to your website.

Banned
    Member #
    Sitemap make your site structure properly and tell Google to give importance to which URL at what frequency.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I normally don't post on really old threads, because, well, they are really old and the information in them is generally OLD as well.

Since 2 of the last 4 people that posted on this thread have been banned, visitors that are not members should take this info with a grain of salt.

Sitemap importance is going to vary by site ( Period ).

sitemaps can play a very important role in making sure that all your pages at least have a url pointing to them so search crawlers can find them. If your site navigation is JavaScript based, the site map becomes even more important as search engines DO NOT read or parse JS. Sure, if your page links are visible in the JS, then search engines are likely to be able to GUESS what the page urls are, but that's not even a guarantee.

Immediately ? don't think so, your site map page is no different than any other page on the site, once you update it, it may take days or weeks for the search engines to see it, update their indexes and add any new links to their crawlers indexes for discovery. so Immediately, no.

Importance ( I think they were referencing Google sitemaps, although they didn't indicate it ), but a site map on your site is nothing more than a list of links in a search engines eyes, no way to specify anything other than the URL of the page.

Structure ? Really ? how ? no, again, it's just a list of links... if your pages ( therefore the links provided ) are in a definable structure, the search engine crawler will just index the pages, the search engine will determine your site structure based on the links, nothing more nothing less.

If you have a 10 page site, you might just be wasting your time, unless of course there is some other reason as to why certain pages are not being crawled.

Check your log files, it will tell you which pages are being requested and by whom... if you see a distinct lack of activity on certain pages, 1st make sure you are not doing anything to keep search engines from getting to them ( IE; nofollow, noindex meta tags, robots.txt entries )... if all that is good, then perhaps a sitemap will help search engines find those other pages...

Your site map on your site is just as important as any other page on your site, you must make sure the information is correct and current... having a site map with links to dead or non existent pages can be more harm to the overall site than no site map at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads