Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've been doing a little research into the best methods for "clean" (white hat) SEO techniques and I'm still learning.
    An acquaintance, who is college trained in web design and marketing, has suggested that a web sites most important key word or search words/phrases should be featured prominently in headline text (h1, h2, h3...).
    My website is a content rich web site with dozens of informational articles, which I am continuing to write and add daily or weekly. I used my h1 tag for my biggest main page headline (only one h1 tag on the site) and I'm using the h2 tag for all my article headlines, which include my good keywords and search phrases.
    Is there a big difference between how search engines view an h1 tag vs. an h2 tag? Will an h1 tag be given greater importance or standing than an h2 tag? Would I be better off changing my article headlines (more search phrases) to h1 tags (adjusting the h1 and h2 parameters in my styles.css file) or will I be fine as is?
    My research has told me that 90+% of SEO work is having lots of RICH CONTENT on your website and the other 5%-10% is the extra-terrestrial algorithmic quantum physic study of methods for predicting possible patterns of behavioral movement amongst unknown secret sub-atomic particles thought to exist within "The Google."
    BUT... before I start working on my own theories of Google Quantum Mechanics, I want to be sure and get my first full 90% of that theoretical equation - Good Rich Content (properly prepared, tagged, and coded to capture those spider's attentions). So, any assistance in how best to place, code, and input my keyword phrases for maximum SEO exposure, would be MOST APPRECIATED!
    My research has also suggested that the old standard placement of keywords and phrases in meta tags are obsolete and pretty much igorned by "The Great and Powerful Google" or it's third cousin twice removed, the Yahoo.
    Any thoughts?
    Any input?
    Any words of wisdom to let me know if I'm talking (writing) complete nonsense or whether or not I have at least a small clue of this galaxy sized jigsaw puzzle, so maybe I might be close to at least getting my 90%?
    Thanks,
    SillyLittleBoy

Member #
    well I can at least tell you about meta tags that they aren't quite ignored, just looked at in drastically different ways - in fact I would say that it's more important than it used to be to get them just right by doing things like:
    1. don't duplicate your meta descriptions or title tags to multiple pages. Your score gets hit for that right away.
    2. make sure you focus on one to three primary keyphrases per page, put them at the beginning of your keyword tags (which incedentally should not be too long, no more than 15 keywords/phrases!), and mirror those priorities in your titles, descriptions, and page content.
    3. Try to have a few sentences of your content begin with your primary keyphrase, but do not "saturate" by stuffing the keywords/phrases in too often, because google and other spiders will interpret that as spam/junk content.
    4. build backlinks around the web by joining forums like this and sticking them in your signature. You can also do it on blogs, which is more time consuming but can also pay dividends if the blog is highly ranked. Try to make the keyword you're optimizing the "anchor text" that shows up as your link.
    5. build "deep links," which just means do all the steps above for every page in your site :-)
    Utah Web Design { Pimpin(it); } - ENJOY yo-self

jj1
    Member #
    Will an h1 tag be given greater importance or standing than an h2 tag? Would I be better off changing my article headlines (more search phrases) to h1 tags (adjusting the h1 and h2 parameters in my styles.css file) or will I be fine as is?
    I believe that yes h1 tag is given more weight than h2-h6 tags and that you should stick at one h1 tag per page and use h2 tags for subheadings and h3-h6 tags for sub-subheadings.
    Other important onsite SEO - put keywords into title tag and SOME image names, hyperlinks, folder names, alt text, content etc but don't overdo things and be penalised for spamming - try to work keywords into code and content in a "natural" way.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The <h1> to <h6> tags are used to define HTML headings.<h1> defines the most important heading. <h6> defines the least important heading.

Banned
    Member #
    These are heading tags and is H1 and H2 is the most important SEO tag which is to used.

Remove Ads