Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

im pretty new to SEO, so that gives you an idea of the kind of tools im looking for - i dont need to deeply analyze my competitors as itd probably just confuse me! but what id like to do is have a good idea of what keywords to go for for this specific category, some idea of the best pages internally to put them, and an idea of what other keywords people searched for to get to the same category/term as mine.

Ive researched this and just found tons of stuff, too much to decide whats good and whats a waste of time, some tools ive noticed are more specified to 'old' seo - meta tags etc, and some tools that analyse other sites in such a complex way that the information is no use to me - i dont understand it.

Some things ive acquired so far:

RAGE SEKeyword (dont really understand what the advanced options do..)
    Firefox addons: wordpot, nodofollow (although im yet to get the hang of these..)

anyone recommend anything else? also been looking through SEOmoz's paid membership..

i simply need some good free tools that will help me confidently choose keywords that have a good chance of being effective - i want to keep in mind the fact that some keywords will be overused on bigger sites with more credibility than my new site, too, and not just use a 'most popular keyword' tool.

the blog i want to SEO is sort of 'media and music', and the site will offer how to articles on getting into the industry, sneek peeks inside or at least thats the general topic of the blog. itd be great to get some help and im sorry if any of that seemed ignorant, as i said, im new!

emma

jj1
    Member #
    to find out what keywords people most commonly use when searching use
    https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
    Use this tool before you even create your domain name or file structures - you then know which keywords to target.
    To find out how competitive each keyword is (ie how many backlinks your compeititors for each keyword have got), use the Google page rank bar (from memory you can install it using the tools option - it tells you at a glance whether google rates each site as a pr0-10.
    Again do this before coding to see whether it is worth your while targetting the keywords identified in Google adsense.
    To see which keywords custoemrs have used to get to your site, use google webmasters tools (analytics).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks jj, used the keyword tool so at least im off to an okay start

so - webmaster tools and analytics are the same? I thought they were 2 different things :S

Member #
    google also has www.google.com/sktool/ which is a adsense variation of their keyword tool. Google removed alot of synonym keywords on their keyword tool. This tool will sometimes give you more insight if used correctly in conjunction with their keyword tool.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks again media!

out of interest, what are the standard methods of singling out and refining keywords/keyphrases? apparently it takes a while but im not sure what i should be setting out to refine to/focus on..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Emma

What you are looking for are keywords/phrases that get a good number of daily searches 90+ but also have a low number of competing pages less than 20,000.

I use Market Samurai which streamlines the process for me as well as showing how tough the competition are.

But you can do it by using the Google keyword research tool (mentioned above) to find related keywords/phrases with some search volume. Then take these keywords and do a search on Google surrounding the keyword/phrase with quotes (important).

Google will then return the number of competing pages (top right of the results page).

Go through each term in turn and note the competition (best to make a spreadsheet). You can then choose your primary keywords and some secondary keywords. The secondary keywords are used a category names on your blog.

So if your primary keyword was red cars then your secondary keywords might be fast red cars, family red cars, vintage red cars.....

This is a long winded process - but if you do it correctly you will save a lot of pain later on.

I hope this helps.

Rich

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks, and for the tip with the categories wish someone put this sorta added info into a tutorial someplace..! thanks rich.

Member #
    try SEO quake for tool while your learning SEO

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    got that now navi, thanks for the tip
    ps - Rich, i am starting to really like market samurai! thanks v much for that!

Member #
    Hi Rich
    Well summarized and explained . Thanks for the information it's worthy.

Remove Ads