Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi everyone

I have a wordpress blog. Basically I want to make it as SEO'd as I can. I'v ebeen researching and there are a couple things i'd like to ask:

First - I need to know how to make a good robots.txt file, optimised for SEO of my wordpress blog.

Ive just been looking up an example robots.txt to use for my blog, expecting it to be the same as that for any normal 'non-blog' site.

I have seen example robots.txt for wordpress that look different from those on a regular site.

could anyone direct me to one that is correct, or help me out here?

Is this a part of a blog-only robots.txt file?:
    "#User-agent: ia_archiver-web.archive.org
    #Disallow: /"

Second - I've read about automatic sitemap updater/submitter plugins for my wordpress blog. I thought manually updating and redoing a sitemap would actually be quite a lot of work at the end of the day for a blog - it gets updated and pages added a lot more frequently.

So can anyone direct me to a good working automatic sitemap updater, and any requirements i'd need to use one? Is this an automatic sitemap submitter/updater: http://www.semiologic.com/software/xml-sitemaps/ ?

Thanks very much!
    Emma

Emma

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hello Emma,

Here is a good SEO plugin for WP
    http://semperfiwebdesign.com/portfol...-pack/#more-59

Here is a good sitemap generator for WP
    http://www.arnebrachhold.de/projects...aps-generator/

Enjoy!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks ken! they look good - had a look at the All in one seo pack and just didnt quite know what it did or how to use it - I've downloaded it, but I'm not sure what it's going to do when I install it.. have you used it?

Emma x

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I use it for my blog and it allows you to control the meta data for individual posts, set the Title tag for your blog and individual posts, addresses canonical issues with your links, and so much more.

Each item allows you to click on it to learn more about what the feature does.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh okay cool - so its all automatic or do you have to 'make' it do things?

theres also the robots.txt - do you have an idea of where a good one might be or how i should write it for a blog specifically?

Emma

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, would you mind telling me where in my blog directory (in the plugins folder?? or just within the main directory, in my case the root directory of my site?) to place my sitemap.xml and sitemap.xml.gz files as in step 2 of the xml sitemap generator:

" 2. Make your blog directory writeable OR create two files called sitemap.xml
    and sitemap.xml.gz and make them writeable via CHMOD In most cases, your blog directory is already writeable."

I woulda asked the guy who made it, but his site was ast updated 2006 apparently so I doubt he's still around!

Thanks so much
    Emma x

Remove Ads