Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello,

Im pretty new to SEO and have been discovering some good looking black hat SEO tools. However because I primarily want to bump up a music download site that supports up and coming artists, and a blog that needs to have a good rep with readers and actually contain good stuff, I dont want to rely on spun articles and auto-submitting things only, but also put some real effort in in places to help my SERP rank.

if ive read correctly that it's one of the most important things to do other than on-site SEO, sitemaps, robots etc - I'd like to build 'real' backlinks through real sites.

Ive heard a few good effective ways to do this are:

1) Submit articles
    2) Make blog comments
    3) Contact sites and ask for links

I understand the higher the pagerank of the article site the better, and this bit isnt too hard.

But Im struggling with number 2) and number 3).

2) "Make blog comments" Problem: knowing which sites to contact/comment on. I read somewhere this was all about pagerank. I then read this article on how to speed up blog commenting:

http://www.backlinkfast.com/2009/08/...menting-tools/

I tried this, my niche keywords are 'download exclusive music'/'exclusive music news'/'new music tips' or similar, but the search result seems to focus a lot more on my exact phrases ive put in (“remember my information” “notify me of follow up comments”) than my niche keywords. the page rank of the results is only as high as 3, and the highest results not really anything to do with new music and media etc..should I still comment on those blogs?

3) "Contact sites and ask for links" Problem: What to actually say to these sites.

Can anyone help me? Im a bit lost..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi there, I 'll try to give you some advice .Well, first you asked about the blog commenting, try to google the list of blogs on your topic, and remember just relevant to the topic blog will be helpful for you if you leave the backlinks to your site there.
    then you may search for some forums on the topic and again start building links there ( www.ableton.com/forum, for example)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Emma

Blog comments can be quite an effective way of getting backlinks but only if you can include your main keyword in the name bit without looking spammy.

For example I often use 'web promotion | Rich' in mine and it rarely gets rejected.

I use Google Blogsearch (blogsearch.google.com) but then you have to find the blogs that allow comments and don't use the rel="nofollow" attribute in the links.

Best way is to find a good blog with comments and ten just look at the source code for the page to see if it contains "nofollow" in the comment links. If it does not then use the blog.

Check the page rank by all means but blogs take a long time to get page rank on individual posts.

I use Comment Sniper (free) to monitor the blogs and I get a popup when a new post is made.

Another great way is to add comments to old posts that have page rank. Just search as above but then when you find a blog that does not have nofollow. Dig in the archives to find posts that have page rank.

Works a treat

Sorry for the rushed response but have to dash.

Rich

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the tips! Glad I was getting it kind of right Okay..

so:

1) concentrate only on blogs that are related to your niche - is that right?
    2)concetrate only on blogs with a higher pagerank - am i concentrating on the blog as a whole here, or the individual post?
    3) comment on older posts with pagerank
    4) Only use blogs without the 'nofollow' attribute (I think you can also weedle out these links by using the 'Line-through nofollow and noindex' on the SEOQuake plugin..)

I think im finding the process of singling out blogs difficult because I've been using google search only..so ill give google blogsearch a go

I think im also finding the whole process of finding a microniche for a music and media news/advice/freebies/tips blog, and a site that offers mp3 downloads from unknown artists very frustrating because these are difficult markets to find a well searched unique microniche for.

Ive downloaded a trial for market samurai and am currently trying to find a good microniche for the above markets there. I dont have any advanced knowledge but am following tutorials by market samurai themselves.

Otherwise im only using free keyword tools.

With both of those im not really getting anywhere.. I've found a grand total of ONE potentially good microniche keyword in a whole day of research - "best music downloads sites".

Can i ask what you guys would do given that as a project? Im completely willing to use reliable tools for speeding up the process, and shove some automated articles in some places, but i do want to make sure that when we post something with our name at the bottom, or when something is seen as being directly posted by the blog or one of the sites im tying to boost, people dont take one look at thelink/post/site and think 'spam', or think 'automated'

This is all volunteer stuff so it can take a little while and theres no deadline

Some help here would be much appreciated given such a difficult market to SEO..

Emma

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes focus on blogs related to you niche. It's easier to write comments about something you are familiar with. It's also good to have links back from on-topic sites.

But having said that, if you find a good blog with a high pr and without the 'nofollow' then do make a comment. This is because the higher the pr the less you need to worry about being on-theme.

Ideally what you want is a blog post with high PR. However individual blog posts do take a long time to actually gain some PR. The thing is that if the home page has a PR0 then it's safe to assume that the individual posts will also have PR0 for a long time. Conversely a blog with a high PR on the home page will pass PR onto individual posts eventually so they are worth having.

Hence my earlier note about commenting on older posts.

You can also look for suitable forums to post on and include a signature file with your keywords as link text.

However the problem you have is trying to find the right keywords. I also use Market Samurai (it is the best tool).

I had a quick look at the 'exclusive music' niche but didn't come up with much.

I also tried 'new music' it may be worth exploring ' new r&b music releases', 'new music releases' or 'new music artists'.

They have a good number of daily searches and low(ish) competition. Few of the top 10 Google results have a large number of backlinks.

So these may be worth looking at.

Hope this helps

Rich

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Rich - good to know Market Samurai is the right choice, too I did try new music artists AND new music releases last night - it was late though. Are these the ones youre saying few of the top ten google results have large numbers of backlinks for?

It might be me using market samurai wrong.. Im going from the tutorials on 30day challenge. Ive only got to day 2, but so far Im told:

a good worthwhile keyword has:

*lots of traffic (ms will estimate)
    *is a microniche
    *not much competition in terms of top rank

a microniche keyword has:
    *SEO Traffic value over 80
    *SEO Competition less than 30000
    *PBR (phrase to broad match ratio) of over 15%

my only concern is that im not setting out to decide on a market to make my website around. which is pretty straightforward and really helped by market samurai and its tutorials im sure. but, ive already got a market - i cant choose.

so im not sure whether in my case, the video tutorials of market samurai are telling me to do the right thing (i am sure though, that i am developing an australian accent from re-playing those vids a hundred times..)

Some guidance would be very helpful.

PS: @rich You've probably saved my first projects life within a couple of these posts recently rich, youre a v helpful guy, and thankyou

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Emma

These are some results I got from Market Samurai (MS)

'new music release' Searches=891 SEOT=374 PBR=24% SEOC= 18,700

So I guess it's a microniche in the terminology above. However when you look at the SEO Competition (in MS) you will see that there are a lot of high PR sites in the top 10.

But if you look at
    'new r&b music releases' Searches=79 SEOT=33 PBR=14% SEOC=16,000

This would not pass the 30DC criterion but I would certainly give it a try because it should be relatively easy to rank for. This is because the SEO Competition in MS shows a low number of inbound links for the top 10 sites and relatively low PR.

So build the links for 'new r&b music releases' and this will eventually help you to rank for 'new music release'.

I am often in a similar situation when working for clients because the niche is already selected. So its about finding the best out of what you have and going for it.

The tutorials for MS and 30DC are great and still relevant - plus you get to perfect the Australian accent!

But I would go as far as selecting keywords and then concentrate on generating content.

Cheers

Rich

Member #
    While you can get PageRank (PR) analyzers, one easy way to find high PR sites is to simply search Google for your keywords. The pages that come in first usually have the highest PRs.

Blog comments may or may not help. They usually have nofollow on them, which means that the search engine won't follow them and won't index the content from there. But it's unclear whether they attribute any PR to links with nofollow on them. (reference: http://searchenginewatch.com/3633972)

As for asking for links, well, in theory this can work. But most high PR sites have gotten so many spammy requests for links that they ignore all of them just by policy.

I've found that the best way to get backlinks is:
    1. create content that people want to read and link to
    2. promote that content
    3. ask people to link to that content (or Stumble it, tweet it, Digg it, etc.)
    The more quality content you create, the more people will want to link to you and so the higher your PageRank will get and the better your site will do in Google.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks very much people

@rich: thankyou that really helped me. im going to have another crack at MS tomorrow and see if i can find anything else - im reassured to hear going with the best of what youve got is the way to go here, i couldnt really think of much else and really was pressurising myself to find a keyword as good as one you might find in an easier market like.. 'rent a lawnmower' or something.

with these keyword ideas - eg new r&b release, they are not totally relevant to what im trying to get people to listen to and buy. i read somewhere to set up a blog to help drive traffic from the unrelated keyword to the thing/place youre trying to get people to go to.

ive also heard that you can set up other sites to increase/boost the PR of your 'target'/'selling' site. but i dont really understand how this works. you add lots of links back to your selling site/page yes, but do these work directly to up your selling site/page's rank? or do they work indirectly, by persuading the user to click?

i know that 'hire recording studio' or some similar phrase has got potential. these people are producers so if the above is true, would it work to set up a 'hire recording studio' website, real if necessary with real contact info, with links back to say - each artists website, saying something like 'these artists are some who record here'.

if this rent a recording studio site got high in the listings, would this up the rank of the sites being linked to on its pages?

or, would a technique like that have no relevance because people wouldnt be interested in listening to the music?

Thanks for the continued help Rich - v v valued advice

Emma

PS. This is such a good forum! thanks all rest of you as well..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by htmljenn
    While you can get PageRank (PR) analyzers, one easy way to find high PR sites is to simply search Google for your keywords. The pages that come in first usually have the highest PRs.

Sorry but in my experience this is just wrong! Page rank is important but not the only factor in deciding where your page ranks. There are many examples of low pr sites ranking #1 on Google.

Rich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads