Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all,

This is my first post so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum. I am the administrator for an online training site for my department. Because IS would not give us a web server due to security concerns we have to relay on a simple Windows share drive and HTML/MHT files. As the amount of material hosted on the drive is growing I have been asked to implement a full text search feature… with no backend to run any services!

In a nutshell I’m looking for one of the following:

1) An applet that I can plug into a web page with a text box and an execute button to execute a search on the share drive

Or

2) An executable that I can modify through scripts/switches/etc to only search specific directories/drives before I roll it out to all desktops

Right now we need full text search capability for PDF and Microsoft Office files. Keep in mind that I have NO backend and NO server due to extremely restrictive IT security policies.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Any solution I can think of would ultimately only **** off your IT guys more. How did you approach them? Did you just ask for a web server, or did you explain your project to them? I'd do the latter and ask them if they can help you come up with a solution and reference whomever asked you to implement the full text search feature, that should add some weight to the request for assistance.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i would ask them what language to use. as they make suggestions, inform them of the limitations of each until they suggest one that will work. at that point you will be on a server side language and you can inform them that language requires a server. go with documentation in hand regarding the limitations of each language as to avoid any grey area that could cause them to accuse you of just being difficult. what they are asking of you might as well be a concrete stretcher (no such thing). you cannot get the file permisions required to even access the files in question with a client side language, if you could the net would truly be the wild west.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Assuming it's an INTRANET online training site, file permissions are easy to secure properly. More info is needed to be sure, but if they're savvy enough to have security concerns, they should be savvy enough to know about server / client side languages. OTOH they should know you can have a full featured intranet site, but again we don't have enough info to be sure.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Sorry all, I was off at training for a few days.

Yes, I did explain my issue to our IT folks. They said a cost center type relationship would have to be established, they'd require a one week lead time for changes as we're a huge company with only five web developers (yeah, I know), and all apps, regardless of type, have to go through the vetting process for security/supportability/etc before deployment. We are finishing an over two year vetting process for a new app now and we couldn't afford to wait that long for this training. In fact, our IT guys were the ones who suggested I set up an intranet-like site from the share. They said they cannot and will not support anything hosted on the share. When I broached this topic with the web dev and security folks the response I got was, and I qoute, "You can run anything you want, but if the apps breaks we're not responsible." I asked for clarification and I was told, and I qoute again, "Knock yourself out."

That's where I'm at - IT doesn't care/won't help, pre-deployment takes forever and my department won't pay for services. These are the same folks who, when I reported a broken link on our internet site (they won't let us administer our own site even though I'm listed as the admin), asked where the file was supposed to be on the backend (if it is even there). I told them no one ever gave me access to the backend, but if they did I'd take a look and let them know. I was then told that they couldn't do that as it was a security risk! This happened three times at three levels of tech support. How the h*ll can I tell you where something is supposed to be, or if it is there at all, if I can't see the damn server. They said since I'm the admin the only way a locally hosted file could vanish was if I myself (with my non-access) deleted it. I've gone up the ladder and been told that it's a corporate policy - deal with it.

Sorry for the venting, but you see where I'm at. I'm developing this project with approval but absolutely no support other than the command to "do it" by others who have no idea about client/server, web, or technology in general. I think I'm starting to convince my department head this is a darn near hopeless project without access to the server through supplying documentation and articles, but it's an uphill struggle...

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    This can probably be configured to do what you need:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...h/default.mspx

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    seriously dude, i would do some job hunting. it sounds like you are working in a company with no solid framework, poor communication, and people that got hired because of their buddies not their skill.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads