Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This thread is being used so i dont hijack another thread in Advertising Services.

This is my understanding, i havent done much research on the origin of meta tags, but I do know basics. Anyways, before all those search engine algorithms showed up, meta tags were the primary use for determining a pages content. There were no page content crawlers, they'd look at the doc, peel the meta tag, and that is where your search engine ranking would come from - those keywords. Meta tags for description/keywords are not ignored by crawlers...many sites' description is what shows up as their description in google search..but google just doesnt gives little to no weight to meta tags. Top : Keywords in title, keywords in page content, and back linking from high PR sites are the top ways to improve your SEO visibility.

Also, I have read that any keywords you have in the keywords meta tag should also appear in your page. Anyways, i really dont care if people say 'meta tags are completely ignored'...if you dont want to put them in your site, THEN DONT. but i personally do the extra 2 minutes of work it takes to paste a comma delimited string in a html tag, because if any search engine decides to look @ my meta tag, i will have one, and you wont. better to have and not need, then need and not have.

SEO is a combination of patience, blood, sweat, and tears. You don't sit somewhere for 5hours and have an SEO optimized site..it takes constant work over a prolonged period. Here is the order i do SEO:

#1 Keyword Research -> Google Adwords Keyword Tool (Export to csv, low competition!!!!, high search volume!!!) If a word is 0.1/1.0 competition, and brings 300 monthly searches, OPTIMIZE FOR IT. It will be easy to get page 1, and who wouldnt want an extra 50-150 visits or something (assuming 50% visit your #1-10 google search result)
    #2 On Page Optimization (page title, meta tags, well written keyword-focused content)
    #3 google 'XML Sitemap Generator' -> Generate an xml sitemap
    #4 Google Webmaster Tools -> Upload that sitemap
    #5 Google Analytics -> Use analytics + Webmaster tools to track keywords
    #6 Rank Checker Plugin -> Constantly check my rank
    #7 Tweak Keywords -> Focus on keywords near page 1 e.g Rank 1-10 -> Tweak content for these keywords
    #8 Backlinks Try to obtain backlinks from HIGH PR, CONTENT RELATED sites. Example: If your site is about hockey, and you get linked from NHL.com..then this will GREATLY benefit you. Focus on the quality of backlinks. 1 link from NHL.com is better than 100 links from a 0PR page. (thats not the ratio, its the conept tha tmatters)
    #9 Tweak Rank Checker Plugin + Constantly tweaking your page

I speak from experience so that people may find it easier to do their own SEO...it took me months and months of reading to become 'decent' at it, i can get certain keywords ranked on page 1. Keyword research is VERY important. Pick a high competition keyword, and your never getting page 1 unless you do a TON of work. Use 'Google Adwords Keyword Tool' and export keyword lists to .csv, pick ones with low competition (I focus on <=0.5 ) with high search volumes.

Example: A site im working on has a 0.2/1.0 competition keyword that gets 3000 searches a month....page 1 = big traffic influx. Do your research. Hope this helps someone. Thanks

For more information go to the link in my signature for programmingBlog. On the right click, SEO. Here is a screenshot of one of my optimized sites
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    hey there...great content...me a complete ignorant when it comes to SEO....however am curious what is Tweak Keyword and Tweak rank...

Also when you say "0.2/1.0 competition keyword" what exactly do you mean!!!

enlighten me please....it will be a help :-)

Pragya
    pragya.cuelogic@gmail.com
    www.cuelogic.co.in

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey, Thanks for the compliment.
    By tweak keywords, what I mean is modify your content so that you use more keywords.

For example:
    This is my website.

If you website if about web design and one of your keywords is Web Design for Beginners. You might want to change this to: 'This is my Web Design for Beginners website. It will teach beginners about all aspects of web design."

You have to make small changes like this, wait a few days, and check your rank with rank checker.

If you see that 'web design for beginners' is #20 in rank checker, it is 10 results away from page 1...so try to work on this phrase and get it to page 1, instead of working on a phrase thats position #198.

0.2/1.0 competition keyword: When using adwords keyword tool, you will see a Advertiser Competition bar, the fuller it is the more trouble you are going to have getting to Page 1 because of the high competition between websites with those keywords. When using the keyword tool if you click Export to .CSV, instead of a bar, you will see a rating. 0.0 means no competition on that keyword, 1.0 means extremely high competition. I try to optimize for keywords 0.4 or under, because I know there is a very good chance I will get to page 1.

Hope this clears things up...
    For more information, you can visit my blog, there are numerous articles on SEO:
    Basic Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

Enjoy.

Member #
    Your blog is wow!!..well 1 more small question..

What would be the ideal number of keyowrds..is it like more the better or vice versa...

Can you ping me once at my email/skype below so that we can communicate easily

Its interesting to know ya!!!

Pragya
    pragya.cuelogic@gmail.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    There's a key number of words and keyword density that's optimal for SEO. That's approximately 200 to 600 words per page and 5% keyword density, give or take.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yep, what smose said, lookup keyword density ideal values or something like that on google.

THanks for the compliment on my blog.
    I usually dont worry TOO much about keyword density, just make sure your keywords appear a number of times and that your text is human-readable.

If your website is about web design and you say this is a website about web design and you will learn web design and we design techniques and we will help you with web design and all your web design needs.

^^^that paragraph is more than likely over density for 'web design'.
    Be smart, track your rankings, tweak your keywords, get good backlinks.

all of those are key in SEO.

as for pinging ya, sorry, too busy .
    BUT, i do often visit these forums and would be happy to help u with anything you need.
    my blog is a good resource, so are the many awesome users @ this forum, if those 2 fail, feel free to send me a private message on the forum.

Gluck

Remove Ads