Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I've been waiting over four months on a DMOZ submission and in the meantime have been rejected by some other directories.

If DMOZ rejects you is there any way to know? Do they notify you?
    Win.ly: A scientific/statistical approach to win prizes online.

Member #
    No,they dont notify whether your in or out.You have to check once in a while yourself.Incredible and arrogant "service" there.
    I have applied several times with several decent sites but so far; nothing to be seen and nothing heard.

Member #
    So there's no way to know whether to resubmit? That's crazy.

This whole SEO thing is growing ugly. Quite political. The links directories are all acting like Roman Emperors -- they do what they like when they like it and how they like it and f off if you don't like it.

And even Google is getting overly restrictive with these random periods of punitive "sandboxing" that you never even know what they're for.

All in all, I've been most happy with Yahoo. My inbound links show up within a day (as opposed to a month or more with Google, and "still waiting for any" on Bing). I just can't get them to crawl deep into my pages.

Member #
    Yeah, you have to just resubmit to dmoz every so often. The only problem is that I think your site ends up in the hands of the same editor 90% of the time so the chances of them rejecting it again are high. I have submitted my site www.waikoloavacationrentals.com to them over a dozen times. Not to be biased, but my site is better looking and offers more information that almost all the sites listed in my area. I would hope that google would quit giving weight to that directory because it is no longer one of the best.

Yes, there are some upsides to yahoo. The main downside is that google gets way more traffic than them.
    Rob Dalton (Kolea Rentals)

Member #
    I would be interested to see if there are any tactics that have been used to get listed in dmoz that have been successful.

jj1
    Member #
    I'm afraid I've never managed to have any of my sites accepted. I know of some that got accepted cos the web designer knew one of the editors, otherwise I think it's pot luck.

Member #
    Yeah, I think you have to know an editor. The crazy part is the way they are operating they have low quality sites on their directory.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by waikoloavrm
    Yeah, you have to just resubmit to dmoz every so often. The only problem is that I think your site ends up in the hands of the same editor 90% of the time so the chances of them rejecting it again are high. I have submitted my site www.waikoloavacationrentals.com to them over a dozen times. .
    So did they let you know that you were rejected? Send you an email or something?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brillig
    So did they let you know that you were rejected? Send you an email or something?
    Nope, you pretty much just have to keep checking back to see if you are on there.

Member #
    They will never send a confirmation message, you have to check it after 6 months of submission because its time period is 6 months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads