Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi all

Im trying to help someone's site rank a bit better and its occured to me they have a domain name that does not relate to their main keyphrases at all.

So i thought to buy another, more keyword oriented domain to overcome this.

I wondered - when i buy my domain name, will it help the most if:
    a. i move the site over to that domain and get hosting for it
    b. make the domain name point to the existing site with no redirects, in the way the current domain name does(sorry im not much use when it comes to servers/hosting, so not sure if thatd mean id have to stop the other domain name pointing to it?)
    c. do a 301 redirect from the new domain name to the existing site under its current domain name.
    d. make a landing page for the new domain linking to the existing site under its current domain name.

Can anyone help?? :S

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I vote for a 301 redirect.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

jj1
    Member #
    In order to preserve most of backlinks you must do a 301 redirect from old to new domain - otherwise your new site will have to go throught he new website "penalty" period and also will not have the benefits of backlinks. However, a Matt Cutts article I read a while ago said that even with a 301 some link juice will get lost (although most is transferred) and you are meant to get every single backlink changed.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    okay thankyou - to clarify, my issue is not that i need to move domains, its just that i thought buying a keyword domain and pointing it to a website that already has a domain name, but not a keyword-oriented one, would help seo.

Im guessing by the advice that a 301 redirect might be the best way to go if i was to go and buy another domain name, and have it lead to the website. but would it actually help SEO?

Would an aged domain help more/better?

Member #
    Can you give us more info? If there are a lot of links to the existing domain, I would recommend keeping it the way it is. If there is not, you might as well just move everything over. If there are a lot of links pointing to the existing domain and you still want to use the new domain then you should use a 301 redirect.
    Rob Dalton (Kolea Rentals)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello - well, according to seoquake toolbar (hear mixed reviews about how accurate this is) I have 9 backlinks according to google and 55 according to yahoo, and a PR of 1 - thats it. the domain has been around a while but site has not been very active until a couple months ago.

so - is this only worth doing with an aged domain??

also, i have a feeling that this guy will want the current domain name (the name of the music artist) to show up in peoples toolbar when you hit the site - meaning pointing the domain name to the site residing under the old domain name. (redirecting but the other way - from the new domain to old one)

would this still have any value?

Also - i just found this:

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2010...rank-loss.html

the article says :

301?ing from an old domain to another, does result in PageRank decay.

Member #
    That is not many links. I would just put everything on the new domain that you want and 301 all the pages of the old one. I would also try contacting some of the sources you have links from and see if they would change it.

I did this exact thing about a year ago when I had about 100 links, but now that I have a few thousand there is no way I would.
    Rob Dalton (Kolea Rentals)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks rob does anyone have any thoughts about the article link from matt cutts i just posted?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    1. The best SEO effect will be to move the site to the keyword domain, and have the old domain 301 redirect to the new one. That will allow both optimal SEO and brandable domain for human type-in (you can use the branded domain for the logo, biz cards, and email domain).

2. The best SEO effect using the current domain will be to implement a landing page on the keyword domain with links through to the current domain. This will simultaneously increase page rank on the branded domain and implement a solid landing site where you can hope to get more SEO coverage.

3. The best type-in technique would be to have the keyword domain 301 to the old domain. This will only be significant if you expect lots of type-in traffic on the keyword domain, though. Otherwise, it's a wasted effort.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks steve, youre a really helpful person! Just woke up and got replies to all my threads that were really annoying problems and questions, thanks!

Okay, as i dont think im going to be able to get holda an exact match keyword domain, I think ill have to add a word in to make sure its buy-able - it'll probably be the name of the artist, so not intuitive for those who dont know about her, nor intuitive in terms of search engines thinking "ah that word goes with the rest of the theme".

is this still worth doing? If so, i think these 2 options are the most relevant:

1. The best SEO effect will be to move the site to the keyword domain, and have the old domain 301 redirect to the new one. That will allow both optimal SEO and brandable domain for human type-in (you can use the branded domain for the logo, biz cards, and email domain).

2. The best SEO effect using the current domain will be to implement a landing page on the keyword domain with links through to the current domain. This will simultaneously increase page rank on the branded domain and implement a solid landing site where you can hope to get more SEO coverage.
    Which has most SEO benefit do you think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads