Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is Site Age a HUGE Factor for Google?

Member #
    I have been doing optimization on my site for a few years now. Over the last year I have been stuck in the #2 spot for almost all of my search terms. My on site optimization for the terms is as good or better than my competitors and my amount and quality of inbound links is much greater.
    That leads me to believe that at some point site/link age is a huge factor. For example, one of my competitors has 300 links that are all 3-5 years old and I have 2000 links that are mostly 1-2 years old. I would be curious to know how much more weight google will give to their links versus mine given that they are the same quality links.

The sites have also been in google for the search terms longer than me by about a year.
    Rob Dalton (Kolea Rentals)

Member #
    from what i have researched throughout the last couple of years google does not seem to have any sort of bias towards older or younger sites, it is usualy all based on the speed of the site and size, however in saying that i supose if a site was equal to the speed of yours and was there first then it may just stay above you

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by waikoloavrm
    I have been doing optimization on my site for a few years now. Over the last year I have been stuck in the #2 spot for almost all of my search terms. My on site optimization for the terms is as good or better than my competitors and my amount and quality of inbound links is much greater.
    That leads me to believe that at some point site/link age is a huge factor. For example, one of my competitors has 300 links that are all 3-5 years old and I have 2000 links that are mostly 1-2 years old. I would be curious to know how much more weight google will give to their links versus mine given that they are the same quality links.

The sites have also been in google for the search terms longer than me by about a year.
    Well that is an interesting fact that has been brought forward .I would visit this thread next time to see the responses . Hopefully some concrete view on this comes up .

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    From everything I've read site age is a factor. There is a tool called website grader which gives you an SEO "Grade". It is not the BEST tool ever, but it is still a tool that can help you with SEO. This tool seems to factor in domain age claiming that "google likes to see domains that are registered for a long time as it shows the owners commitment to keeping it updated" ....makes sense.

I have also used other tools, and read other posts that signify domain age is a factor. Another factor seems to be traffic value. Maybe they get a lot more traffic than you so Google thinks they are a bigger authority on your topic.

hope this helps.

Member #
    From my testing age does play a factor in ranking results but not to a large extent. What the algorithm bases a lot of weight on is the quality of the backlinks and not the quantity. You may have to check if you have any bad links that are broken or no longer in use and get rid of them. You may also have to check whether those backlinks are passing any page equity to you and if not it might be best to unload them. Also what types of anchor text are you using in your links when you are doing the backlinks. Because you may need to mix up your keywords in your anchor text and change a few things around. Also the sites that you have your backlinks on are they high authoritative sites or all directories and why type of sites are they.

Member #
    I still am confused over identifying this one, As i have worked on many websites and all of them are having different kind of issues.

Let me share one thing, I was working on a competitive keyword to be on #1 but i was stuck at #2 as the 1st one was having that particular keyword in its URL and he was having very few links than me, and then too he is still on #1 for the respected term.

In Nutshell, I would say that there are many factors that are affecting on being #1 (Not only 1 or 2)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by waikoloavrm View Post

I personally think is does as my littel blog jumped from PR 0 to 3 at about 6 months and I had stopped working on it for a month... I did not see any impressive backlinks either- had to be age.

Although a lot of EXPERT people I know are adamant this is not true. Apparently google just keeps coming around and re-assessing PR

Banned
    Member #
    Yap domain age is very important factor but the difference you are telling is very huge which can not be compensate in only the domain age. I think that your competitor may be involve in direct marketing and have huge traffic on the website. And the Back links relevancy may also be the reason that your back links may not be from relevant website.

Member #
    as to my observation and little experience, i could say that it has something to do with domain's age and matters with the amount of traffic that aside from SEO, your competitors might engage with direct marketing as well that's why they stay on the top.

etm
    Member #
    Its also been debated how far forward going your domain has been registered for can have some influence, ie registering your domain for the max limit of 10 years vs 1 year. Some say it demonstrates the intention for a long term presence vs a fly by night site.

I somewhat disagree because to any link farms, scammers etc, paying for 10 years of domain registration is small change even compared to some short term monetary gains they may have.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads