Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Hey all. I consider myself pretty competent at SEO, but I'm wondering what percentage you all consider to be keyword stuffing and from your experience, what is the perfect density for results in the SERPs.

I usually go for 10% if it's only a few paragraphs, and lower that percentage to about 4-6% if it's a lot of content.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I don't bother coming up with a percentage myself. I look at it like this...if it doesn't read organically and/or keywords are buried in attributes of tags that don't make sense to bury keywords in, it's stuffing.

Same thing with density. There are so many other factors involved that isolating keyword density in a vacuum (or any other factor for that matter) makes little to no sense. If I can work a phrase organically into the title, h1 and meta description tags and get it organically into the body copy as well, that's usually enough, regardless of the length of the passage. Now, if it's a long passage of copy, I might try to work the phrase in a few more times, but I usually don't. And that usually works for me...if the site's converting and generating sufficient traffic, then I'm good.

Look at it this way...a lot of tech solutions for problems come from forums and things like that which would have no "SEO copywriters" as such working on the posts, editing the posts, whatever. If they're not doing anything other than site structure and quality content and are showing up, it means search engines are getting better and better at determining truly organic content.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I agree that all that matters to a reader is whether it's 'organic' or not. I'm just worried that I might be unintentionally overdoing it.

Fake Example:
    I create a page that I want to rank high on for the phrase "Elephants are big".

Title Tag: [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Elephants are big[/COLOR]
    Slug: domain.com/[COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]elephants-are-big[/COLOR]

H1 tag: [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Elephants are big.[/COLOR]
    Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]big land animals[/COLOR] Body text body text Body text body text [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]elephants are big[/COLOR] Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text

h2 TAG: So Why Do [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Elephants Grow So Big[/COLOR]?
    Body text body text [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]elephants grow big[/COLOR] because Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text Body text body text

Even though as a reader, the keyphrase is not intrusive, i'm worried that a search engine might flag something like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I doubt they would for something like that. "Real" keyword stuffing is usually pretty low-grade, obvious stuff. Hidden text. Text that intentionally makes use of small fonts. Text absolutely positioned off the page. Text that has so many commas in it that reading it no longer becomes natural. Text stuffed in attributes. Things like that.

Besides, the primary keyphrase (elephants are big) is only mentioned four times (counting the slug). Yes, words within the phrase are mentioned as well, but that will often happen with organic writing as well. A rough look at the text suggest that there about 100 words. Four mentions in 100 words is not that bad.
    Harmonic likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdtheisen, post: 200792
    Hey Guys, I have heard that Google is getting better at targeting over saturation of keywords from other forums. In my development training which is pretty fresh and experience with my website 3 keywords per 300 words seems to do the trick. The key being to have your keyword in the title.

Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff - I'd be interested to know where you got your training. I think you may have been ripped off if you paid a lot for it.

It is impossible to quantify such things - it is quality that counts and not quantity, not even proportion, as you seem to be advocating. And the use and placement of the keywords will vary according to the purpose, content and target market of the site, to name a few variables. Keywords in titles are good, but only if they read organically.

I find that most of my own site's conversions come from long-tail keyword searches - people looking for very specific combinations. I'd rather have three conversions from that, than three hundred random visitors from common keywords. If you do a search for "web design" you'll get (I looked) 298 million results. But if you do a search for web design vaudreuil-soulanges, my site comes up three times in the top 10 organic (unpaid) results. (This site has been up less than a year, so I don't think site age has much to do with it.)

Some of my clients are in very specific industry niches - keywords in titles can and do work for them, and I always try to use the keywords in the copy text where it is possible. But if the copy text is very short, I can still usually suggest a way to work in some of the keywords for the site in a 'natural language' way.

Google has and does try very hard to give fair results and not reward 'black'hat' SEO. They have lots of articles and tutorials on their site about how to use them to your best advantage. After all, it's to their advantage , too. They want to stay #1, and to do that they need to create and keep credibility with their users. The only way to do that is to make sure their results can be trusted. I've looked and looked, and nowhere can I find any reference in Google's material that specifies a percentage or a proportion for using keywords in a page.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    the best keyword density is from 25% to 30%

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    To the previous two posters...read what AlphaMare wrote.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonic, post: 200410
    Hey all. I consider myself pretty competent at SEO, but I'm wondering what percentage you all consider to be keyword stuffing and from your experience, what is the perfect density for results in the SERPs.

I usually go for 10% if it's only a few paragraphs, and lower that percentage to about 4-6% if it's a lot of content.
    The percentage of the number of times that your targeted keyword is mentioned in your web page when compared the total number of words is the seo keyword density. It is important to realize that the spiders of search engines index a particular web page based on those words or phrases that have the most number of occurrences.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I give up - everybody has bought the snake oil and they won't believe it's not going to cure them. :bye:
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You could have just called it "faith healer's potion".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads