Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: WDF is a "Nofollow" Forum

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well you make me sound real bad when you phrase it like that!
    New Jersey Website Design: We offer services in Web Design, SEO, Website Design, Belmar Web Design
    We are located in Belmar, New Jersey and Collingswood, New Jersey
    www.AKonlinedesign.com

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Web Design, post: 201886
    Spammers can be taken care of by the mods.
    True, that's one of the jobs of the staff. However in the 8 years I've been here, I want to say less than 20 different members have ever bothered to report spam to the staff, and probably half of those members have become staff members over the years.

Help the staff stop spammers, [S]because only you can prevent forest fires[/S]... err, because it's not a one man job.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    AK - I did not mean you in particular. But for a place with 25,000 members, it seems to me the percentage of mods is pretty small...
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This forum is 8 years old right? There's no way there's 25,000 active members here.

With more members, they'll be more people who want to be mods to fight against the spammers and all other bad stuff. Especially if it's advertised a little more. Or am I missing something?
    New Jersey Website Design: We offer services in Web Design, SEO, Website Design, Belmar Web Design
    We are located in Belmar, New Jersey and Collingswood, New Jersey
    www.AKonlinedesign.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What you're "missing" (and I wouldn't use that term myself, but I can't think of a better one) is the number and nature of spammers. The removal of "nofollow" increases the noise ratio substantially, and unfortunately the size of the group of forum backlink chasers has also grown substantially. I don't believe there are enough moderator types available, as well meaning as a lot of people are, that could keep up with it.

Right now, I spend maybe 20-25 minutes a day doing moderator-related tasks (removing spam, etc.) I spend almost the same amount of time doing that on another forum that's all but dead because the nofollow attribute was removed.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    I have no problem with the "nofollow" attribute.

When Google sees everyone using an SEO technique, including spammers, they discount the value of those links to near ZERO. Forum links have long been a low quality backlinking method---virtually not worth the effort.

If forum links are a big part of your backlink strategy, you are almost completely wasting your time.

The only real advantage to using forums is the traffic you get from the members. Since none of my sites are related to web design, I don't expect any traffic from this forum.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd still use a signature if I were you, delstu. Some of us do have other interests besides web design, and you never know if someone might be interested in something you have to offer or say. Besides, the worst thing that comes from it is nothing...it can't hurt you.

Go ahead...show yoursef a little love. Just for posting something that intelligent, you deserve it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I agree 100% that ANY forum should be a "nofollow" links, as an SEO Tutor, that may sound a crazy statement, however; Forums have their place firmly marked on the internet as invaluable resources for a wealth of knowledge.

The unfortunate truth is that many lesser SEO's are attempting to use a forum simply to gain the back link. This has been made much worse by so many so called automated SEO software titles, whereby they automatically join forums and post profile pages just for the back link.

These automated tools have absolutely no benefit for the forum or it's valid members but they do have a detrimental effect on the forums appeal as forum owners are forced to implement "nofollow" rules.

Best regards
    Arran Wood
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm a newbie to all this and this has been a burning question of mine for a long time....what is DOFOLLOW and NOFOLLOW?

Just figured out NOFOLLOW thanks to "the 21 Greatest SEO Myths."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    no such thing as DOFOLLOW, it's something that people assume ( opposite of NOFOLLOW )...

robots ( search crawlers ), use the rules of exclusion to find their way around, just like the robots.txt file, it assumes if you're not using a robots.txt file on your site to list exclusions, then everything must be available for indexing.

But if you use a robots.txt file to define what you "DON'T " want them to index, then they will only crawl what you allow them to.

same is true for page level meta tags, you can have an entire section that is not restricted, but there may be a page you don't want them to index, so you put a meta tags specifically to tell the search engines to not index or not follow...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads