Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey.

I found a phrase that gets 250k monthly searches in Google. I checked godaddy and the .com domain is already taken, but .org and .us are still available.

So I'm guessing that it's safe to assume that .org would carry much more weight in terms of ranking in the search engines than .us does, right?

Am I right to think that I would not have to do as much SEO for the .org as i would have to do for the .us? I'm guessing I won't get on page 1 straight away, but it shouldn't be too hard if I have the .org domain with the exact phrase in the name?

Let me know what you guys think. I'm sure you have waaay more SEO experience than i do so tell me if my thinking is right or wrong.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The domain name has been shown to give a "little" bump in SE rankings, but only if the content on the site is relevant to the "word" you want to register as the domain name.

If the content you are planning to use has nothing to do with the domain, then it really has no bearing.

.ORG was originally set up by ICANN for use by "non-commercial" (.COM) entities, and the .ORG was one of the original TLD's. You'd think because of this, it would get higher rankings off the bat, but I don't think there is anything to actually back that up.

.US was added as a TLD several years ago, and the .ORG is no longer considered just for use by non-commercial sites.

Just to be clear, if the content you are going to put up as no relation to the "domain name", then none of this really matters in the SEO sense, and there are a lot more relevant things to do to your site to even get indexed, much less get listed on the first page, than just picking up a snappy domain name.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The content is definitely going to be relevant. I don't think there will be a lot of content, but it'll definitely all be relevant. I'm in no way great at SEO so getting any kind of boost from .org would be helpful.

What would you do if you found that a domain name with the exact keyword/phrase that you want is available? Would you go for .org or .us? Or .net if it was available? And this is assuming that the site wouldn't have a lot of content and its prime purpose would be to refer users to a different program/site? The site wouldn't be regularly updated.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    All of them, if they are available .

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hahah well I don't think I'll buy all of them.. It's between .org and .us, with .us being significantly cheaper

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    .org is better IMO.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I buy domain names for a min of 2 years, don't fall for the discount promos as they will end up costing you more in the long run. Most domains I manage are registered for 10 years. Price break discounts usually don't come into play for 3-5 years, then the discount get better after that, sonfor about 250 you could register them all for 10 years.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    For clients, I recommend long-term registrations, many go for 5 years, and the rest for at least 3 year registrations. For some reason, 10 years seems like too long for them...
    For my own, I go 10 years - I know I'll still want them then and if not, I'll sell 'em.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads