Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Not sure if this is the right place but it is a browser issue so....I recently built a new website, uploaded everything and I can see then new content in several different browsers but my friend can only see the old pages when using Google. Why is Google still showing the old cached content? How do I fix it?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You don't, when google reindeers the site... They may or may not update the cached images they have of your site.

I've seen some take several months to update... And some only take a couple days... The thing is, that's googles data and nothing you can do about it...

If you didn't use 301's to inform google and the other search engines you were moving content, then who knows how long before google stops trying to reindex old listings...

If it was just a "visual" update, none of the links changed, then they should update the next time the crawler that takes the snapshots comes around.

Member #
    OK, so since I am such a newb, how can I use a 301 re-direct so that this content updates? I don't know if I should be using a php, asp, jsp.....some of the links changed and the site was re-designed mostly just for a cosmetic update. Any help is appreciated. I can view the new site just fine in Google but my friend can't from her computer on Google which is wierd. You would think we'd both be seeing the same thing.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    what do you mean "in Google" Google is a search engine. Are you referring to Google Chrome Web Browser, maybe? If so, you might simply need to refresh the cache.
    Mac: Cmd+Shift+R
    PC: Ctrl+F5

Member #
    When I go to google, search for the site and go to the website from the link that comes up in the search, I can see the new content but if she does the same thing, she cannot. We've tried F5 and that is not working.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Whomever her ISP is is using what is called caching more than likely... Even some firewalls have the ability to cache web sites so if there are a lot of users connected... It send them the cached version instead of making them wait until the site responds.

Many ISPs do this to help with bandwidth issues... 7-10 days is pretty much the max time they do caching... Both are outside of your control... Only have to wait until they dump the cache.

Since there are so many different ways of doing 301 redirects, you should first find out from our hosting provider if they have something in place to handle setting them up... If not... Determine the old pages that you need to redirect from determine where that traffics needs to go... Then google 301 redirects... And find the proper way based on your situation.

If you have gone over 30 days... Really makes no sense as search engines drop that reference and quit trying to index that resource...

Don't worry, I know people that have been doing web stuff for years and they still don't fully comprehend why and how to properly implement 301 redirects...

Remove Ads