Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I have now had a domain for the last 3 years or so, for the most part I have only had a holding page due to my business being on hold, now I plan to grow my business so I really need to have a good web presence. I have only 7-8 days ago launched my new website and am fully aware the proper indexing of pages etc can take a while, my issue is that I have always had a places page and analytics account. My webmaster tools are currently showing analytical data and that 7 of the 8 pages I submitted are indexed.
    So I have noticed:

1/ Whenever I type in my company name Google never predicts it as it does with most other businesses I look for

2/ When I check Google maps it shows up but only for a short time did I get my google map to appear next to my listing - this has now vanished.

3/ My google places analytics shows no impressions or actions but my listing does exist

4/ I checked my page ranking and it shows 0/10

5/ When I type my company name my webiste .index page appears 4-5 down the 1st page, when I type in my company name & City it appears at the top with the first 6 indexed pages (one of these is incorrect but I am putting that down to time from launch)

I would be really grateful if someone could advise what more checks I can carry out, I am at a loss as to why this is happening or not as the save may be.

Many thanks

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As mentioned in a previous post about this same topic...

You went from a holding page to a site with several pages and real content ?

All of the above would be expected to happen...

Until google and or other search engines can determine your intent that is now on the site is relevant... You're in a sandbox... Nope... Just because you had the domain and a holding page doesn't mean the sandbox period won't happen to your site...

This happens anytime a site makes major changes ... In your case you went from nothing to something...

Their crawlers index pretty regularly, but how they index what content you have is based on their timetable... And if anyone tells you it will take a "specific" time... No one knows.. And not a darn thing you can do about it

Pretty much, now they have to determine what content you have, where it belongs in the relative scheme of things... Could take weeks, could take months ... All dependant on your content.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 233423
    As mentioned in a previous post about this same topic...

You went from a holding page to a site with several pages and real content ?

All of the above would be expected to happen...

Until google and or other search engines can determine your intent that is now on the site is relevant... You're in a sandbox... Nope... Just because you had the domain and a holding page doesn't mean the sandbox period won't happen to your site...

This happens anytime a site makes major changes ... In your case you went from nothing to something...

Their crawlers index pretty regularly, but how they index what content you have is based on their timetable... And if anyone tells you it will take a "specific" time... No one knows.. And not a darn thing you can do about it

Pretty much, now they have to determine what content you have, where it belongs in the relative scheme of things... Could take weeks, could take months ... All dependant on your content.
    Thanks for that, to be honest as long as I am not not doing something then that takes a weight off!

Can you advise if there is any way for future reference to 'get ahead of the game', a best practice process?

I take it from what you said that even if I am setting up a website for a client and request keywords/meta description to add to a holding page in advance of the actual website build there is no way to start the process?
    Or
    Can I for example after agreeing on the page names, content etc add these to the domain server side with the relevant keywords/meta description, page title etc and thereafter when going live do a 301 re-direct to the hopefully already indexed pages?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually, from what ive seen in the past ( subject to change over time ), if the site has no pages... Don't put up "holding" pages.... Opt for nothing... If nothing is there... Nothing to index...

If you have anything there... And it goes from little content... To a lot of content... The process of re-indexing fan take longer than if nothing there... And then content

If its a "hosting server" generated holding page... Leave it alone... They are not indexed... But search engines know something is coming so will revisit every so often.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    In short... Search engines are looking for content... But content should be a gradual change... Any time there is a massive change from a little user generated content to a lot of user generated content... It's going to need to re-classify all of it before it wants to show it...

Way to many "hi-jacked" domains for them to just reindex all the new content and go...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 233466
    In short... Search engines are looking for content... But content should be a gradual change... Any time there is a massive change from a little user generated content to a lot of user generated content... It's going to need to re-classify all of it before it wants to show it...

Way to many "hi-jacked" domains for them to just reindex all the new content and go...
    Righty ho, I am looking into several ways to clean up my domain where it seems to be indexing a lot of sub domains - also I will keep an eye on things and hopefully it sore itself out!

Thanks for all your advice

Remove Ads