Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My High Search Ranking...What Happened...???

Member #
    hello again...

six months ago...if I opened any search engine & typed in 'recording studio, new jersey'...my business was very near the top of the list.

if I typed in 'recording studio, trenton'...I was at the very top of the list.

now...I'm not even on the list...anybody's list...!!!

wonder what could have happened, 'cause the phone has stopped ringing.

thanx,

mark4man
    http://www.moonmixstudios.com

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    "Anything." That's the joy and the pain of search. You might not have done something right. You might have done something wrong. It might be a bit of both.

First and foremost, have you bought any links? Most people suffering lately are "victims" of their own hand...usually buying links from other sites, posting on forums for SEO backlinks, and other general useless activity. Check Google Webmaster Tools...if you see any warnings there, that probably explains it. It's pretty simplistic, but a lot of sites are getting burned for that.

Second, there's no real way to tell you're even from Trenton. Where's your address? Put one up. It probably won't have much search impact, but it would lead to more conversions simply because people would know where you are.

Third, your site editor isn't doing you any favors in this regard. A good site editor will allow you to organize content into headings, subheadings, and text. Headings and subheadings are relevant because they carry greater importance due to their intended use to indicate the topic of a document or passage using a brief phrase.

There are other things, but other people should get a turn so I'm going to let them.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    UPDATE:

wanted to come back & let everyone know:

1) Consolidated meta keywords list...only kept primarily important keywords (&...it's not even 25% of it's former size).

2) Rewrote meta description ala 'common sense'...to reflect what I basically do; & my location.

3) Re-verified site w/ Google Webmaster; & implemented Site Health suggestions.

4) Found out that Bing & Yahoo had merged search engines...so's I updated my listing & implemented a sitemap.

(hope this works in improving my ranking)

thanx,

mark4man

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    To be honest if you have done any link building you would have had your anchor text as your main keyword with the city name this is what would have penalized you, over optimization anchor text. you need to build natural links to your site.

but of course it could be 100% different reasons, it's hard enough to hard out why I site moves if you watch it everyday and track what you do let alone just checking it monthly.
    I run a local SEO & Web Designer. Business Web Designs

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    First of all, there's no such thing as "over optimization". You can't "over optimize" anything. It's either optimized or it isn't. I have absolutely no idea how such a brainless term ever made its way into the SEO mainstream, but somehow it did.

Second, the only natural link building that exists comes as a side effect of quality content. Anything requiring an interaction with another webmaster/webmistress/SEO/wannabe in order to create a link is unnatural in and of itself.

mark4man, there's one question I want to ask you: when you say "ranking", are you actually talking about where you see yourself in terms of a search result, or a decrease in referral traffic? The latter can indicate a decline in ranking, particularly if the decrease is significant...the former is pretty much meaningless.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 236723
    First of all, there's no such thing as "over optimization". You can't "over optimize" anything. It's either optimized or it isn't. I have absolutely no idea how such a brainless term ever made its way into the SEO mainstream, but somehow it did.

Second, the only natural link building that exists comes as a side effect of quality content. Anything requiring an interaction with another webmaster/webmistress/SEO/wannabe in order to create a link is unnatural in and of itself.

mark4man, there's one question I want to ask you: when you say "ranking", are you actually talking about where you see yourself in terms of a search result, or a decrease in referral traffic? The latter can indicate a decline in ranking, particularly if the decrease is significant...the former is pretty much meaningless.
    I'm not sure why you would think there isn't such a thing as over optimization SEO.

Let me give you some examples:

On-page SEO that is over optimization will have keywords that are stuff into the page making it harder to read, while an optimization site will just have a good quality target that target and problem or keyword.

Off-site SEO: Over optimization anchor text is a great example of this. You have a site about red shoes and all your anchor text has red shoes, this means that you site looks unnatural and over-optimized for the keyword red shoes. If you where optimized for the keyword red apples you would have around 30% target anchor text, 30% brand name, 30% related keywords and 10 % junk links, of course these are all just rough numbers.

If you are over optimized then you will find yourself no where near the top of the search engines as you will not look natural.

Also I don't agree with you on:

[Second, the only natural link building that exists comes as a side effect of quality content. Anything requiring an interaction with another webmaster/webmistress/SEO/wannabe in order to create a link is unnatural in and of itself.]

So you might have a great case study on a certain subject and because you contact 10 different webmasters who are an authority in the niche and they deiced to link to it because of the email you sent them it's un-natural and not worth sharing?

Great content is created all the time and because it isn't marketed and shared it doesn't make the day of light. The old say build it and they will comes doesn't work.

Member #
    I created a separate layer (#77) for my <h1> tag heading...& hid it (using Z-indexing) in back of a layer (#3) that contained a graphic of the exact same site description. this way, it's not visible...but will be picked up by the crawlers (will it, I hope...is this legit?)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    As long as the hidden text isn't anchor text that you are targeting then you will be fine, otherwise i would remove it.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac, post: 236727
    I'm not sure why you would think there isn't such a thing as over optimization SEO.

Let me give you some examples:
    None of your examples are "over" optimization. Keyword stuffing is "poor" optimization, or deoptimization. Acquiring too many links is not optimization, either. If it's "too many", by definition it's not optimization.

Game's point was that word "optimal" refers to a state of perfection. If that state is attained, there's no going beyond it - you can't optimize beyond optimal state. Thus, it's literally impossible to "over-optimize" (at least, in the English language, it is).

His frustration is that the term is used incorrectly, and was obviously invented by people who don't understand English too well, or who aren't too bright.

To GAME: are you really so surprised? SEO as a career doesn't exactly attract the brightest individuals.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    ^^^

What he said.

And Moseley...you know I'm not really surprised. Like you said, SEO attracts some of the biggest "numpties" (I love that word...thanks, England!) imaginable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads