Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi,

I have a PR3 blog, most articles of which rank well in Google. I post an article in this blog.
    I post the same article in my Facebook note, which has few updates.
    I'm not sure whether the article in my blog and the Facebook note will be treated as duplicate content. If search engine finds the two article at the same time, which one will Google index?

Please help me , thanks?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    It will index both. Whichever one it chooses to give preference to would depend on more than just "duplicate content". It depends on what it feels a particular user would prefer to read, based on where that user has been (if Google can track it), what users in the geographic area prefer, whichever one it indexed first, and a whole series of other factors. But it probably won't be consistent across the board, if that's what you're wondering.

If you want to solve this issue, link to the original article and post a summary of it on Facebook, rather than duplicating it outright. This solves the problem of duplicate content while potentially giving you a broader range of keywords and phrases to target, if you do it right.

Your other problem is that you may be focusing on the wrong things, and in your defence you're only focusing on what everyone else tells you you're supposed to focus on. External PageRank is not, repeat not, a third time just to make sure it sinks in not a ranking factor at all. It's essentially reduced to a unit of SEO currency because the SEO community thinks it still means something. It doesn't mean a thing, hasn't in several years, and no one who legitimately understands how SEO works is even remotely interested in the little green bar.

The other thing you're focusing on is "ranking", which can mean two things. If you "rank", it means nothing by itself. If you "receive sufficient referral traffic from search engines based on the keywords and phrases you targeted", that's what matters. I would suspect the former is the case and not the latter, because you probably wouldn't be asking this question otherwise.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    From what I remember of the last confernece I attended, what theGame said is the best way to approach... Only put a summary of the article ... And link to the full article...

If you post the full article, probably won't hurt much as rankings go, but will devalue the original ... Meaning if you look at it from a points value, and every article on our blog is given a 10, reposting the full article might drop that value to a 9, while not getting anything on the other site itself. But if you just post a summary and link to the original... You keep the 10 for the original, and could actually get a few points from the other ( in the overall scheme )...

Search engines use CRC values and last modified or created date to determine the original publication location, bu they also do trending ... In some circles, duplicate content is really bad, and can actually hurt the original, if they notice a trend ( ie... All articles posted on the original are being reported somewhere else )... They see that trend, and could very well penalize you for it... If its just the occasional re-post... Maybe not...

Point is... Even social media promotions of an external site can hurt the original site if not done properly, and there are no certain "one size fits all" answers to this question, we can only try things and see what the results are.. If negative... Stop ... If positive... Keep doing it.

As for Ranking ... What he said !!!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks a lot!

Member #
    Yeah, It will consider as duplicate content and index that one which will be posted 1st time on web.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Can't you just link to the article from your Facebook?

There's a plugin for Facebook Pages called RSS Grafiti.
    You can use it to pull updates from a site/blog's RSS Feed.
    So whenever your blog updates with a new post, your Facebook wall with update with a link, thumbnail image and snippet text to it.

It's a nice, lazy way of managing your Facebook page
    AlphaMare likes this.

Junior Member Siddhipriya Creations's Avatar
    Member #
    Yes it will indexed twice.. using summary of the article and giving a link would be the best choice..

Member #
    I have experienced doing posting the same content too, but I decide to delete the other one and make another content for it.

Remove Ads