Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi,

I'm thinking of translating a blog into other languages to gain more traffic. I'm planning to punch things into Google Translate, hope for the best, and then repost the material in a sub-directory.

My question is this: is there anything different about SEO in foreign languages? Or is everything the exact same? For reference, I'm planning to include Chinese and Japanese, because my site has material that isn't as commonly found in their languages.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yes & Yes...

Don't use google translate, then copy / paste the output. If you really want a translation, pay a professional translation service.

Make sure to change your default language and character set to the appropriate or you're just spinning your wheels... If you post kanji characters into a page defined as English using UTF8, search engines will just ignore it...

Since there are so many "gramatical" variances between English and Japanese, any machine translation is gonna be half-assed at best. And you may actually end up offending visitors. Seriously... Been there done that. My boss, tried that on her first visit to Japan. Instead of saying "nice to meet you" , she said "hug me".... And egrish is even harder to conquer.

Here's one for you... What does ROR stand for ?

Not meaning to dis-suade you, just be careful ... If you want to go the google translate route... Just link to the google translate page so if visitors want to see the google translation of a page, thy know its google doing the translation and no skin off your back if they are wrong. But you won't get any SEO value from that on the JP search engines goin that route.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Oh... And for Chinese ... You'll need to have the language pack installed on your PC. Depending on the blog context, they may never allow you site to be seen there ?

Come to think of it... If its hosted on a US BASED server , only the hackers that know how to get around the govt. firewalls will ever see it... You'd think as hard as the BAIDU slider hits websites, that they would allow it... NOT.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 248904
    Oh... And for Chinese ... You'll need to have the language pack installed on your PC. Depending on the blog context, they may never allow you site to be seen there ?

Come to think of it... If its hosted on a US BASED server , only the hackers that know how to get around the govt. firewalls will ever see it... You'd think as hard as the BAIDU slider hits websites, that they would allow it... NOT.
    You're probably right about using Google Translate. I just used the Google Chrome auto-translate a couple times and was amazed at how well the translation came out.

As for Chinese... does China ban all US-based websites??? I know they block Facebook, but can they really block all those American sites??

On a tangent...
    I haven't really seen many Chinese websites that look that great. All the sites I saw looked old and were so intent on using red, green, blue, and other solid colors. Not to mention that they have a disproportionately large use of IE there. Maybe their limited internet access affects their web design advancements as well.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yes, they can block all websites outside their country... Not just US , but everyone one else too.

There are some that are allowed, but only after a lot of scrutiny by their govt. its easier for them to just block.

Many Business related sites are pretty modern cnobin.cn is their main registrar, up until about 2 years ago, just about anyone could register a .cn domain ... Now you have to either be a chinese citizen or have a brokerage company maintain the registration . I had about 20 domain names there ( for trademark protection ), and they just yanked them. Luckily, we have business associated in HK, so they were able to re-register them all... Funny thing... When they went to re-register them, I got emails telling me someone was trying to register them, and for trademark purposes, they would broker them for me at 10X the cost I was previously paying for them. I probably got an email from every brokerage service and of course, they probably didn't know that I had previously held them.

I guess it depends on what the site is about, as to whether I would even bother with the Chinese translation, if its business related, it has to be politically and religious neutral and not be competing with any of their business. Otherwise,'more than likely will never make it past their sensors.

The Japanese site, on the otherhand, can be a benefit and get you some good traffic, but again, pay for a professional translation and make sure to use the correct language sets. If you think its a viable option, look at acquiring hosting on a shared server there.will go a long ways towards search engine interest . Yes, there is a bias ... But just like you rarely run across a foreign site on googles Us based search services, you rarely run across a US BASED site on the google.jp ( which is actually very small for their search industry ).

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Thanks for the tips, Webzarus. Lots of concepts to absorb here.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I just wanted to chip in and mention that since blogspot.com went international, my site on this platform gets loads more visits.

The URL auto redirects (blogspot.de) according to what country you're in and auto-translates!
    Amazing.

Remove Ads