Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By djitsz
  • 3 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By jdluckhurst
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: SEO Books, yes or no?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

SEO Books, yes or no?

Hi,

I dabble in SEO but want to offer it as a professional service. Ive got a year long contract as a test for a client of mine that I'm charging him half price for as Ive been open with him and said I think I know what I'm doing but cant say for certain.

Anyway, I want to do this thing properly so don't just want to jump in doing what Im doing already but do it all the correct way.

So where should I start? Are there any books anyone can recommend or do you think books arnt worth it due to the ever changing rules of SEO? Should I just follow the Google tutorials?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I recently read "How to get to the top of Google" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Get-Top-...+top+of+google) which was quite a decent guide to SEO with some helpful hints on strategies for ranking highly on Google.

The only thing that annoyed me was the constant advertisement of the writer's own SEO services.
    medlington likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    http://static.googleusercontent.com/...rter-guide.pdf

That's the only book you'll ever need, and it's free.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Cheers,

I'll check out the link, I bought the book too as I find a phisical book an easier read than a pdf

Member #
    Instead of any book, i recommend you to join reputed SEO forums. The information within books become irrelevant after the new algorithm change. So become active on SEO forums & keep yourself update regarding new SEO practices.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    A book is a good place to start, although Google's started guide is probably best. Then have a go at it. Reading through the forums and the industry leading blogs will help a lot with the more nitty gritty detail although the basic theory is pretty simple.

This is the best bit of advice I could give you once you have read the relevant literature and are actually doing the SEO work: something that looks like a short cut should be treated with extreme caution. It is likely to have already been spotted by many other thousands and will be abused by the SEO industry until Google are forced to penalise it. Real short cuts in SEO are like unicorn farts.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I just submitted my site to 1,000 directories and now my office area smells like unicorn farts!

This is so getting reused.
    Ronald Roe and AlphaMare like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the info guys.

the book is quite good, its making me remember a couple of things that I already knew but had forgotten and is suggesting a few other things are more important than I thought.

A couple of queries though, in the book he says meta keywords are useless and that in fact they are bad because all they do is let your competitors SEO company see what search terms your targeting and then go after them too. I have heard that Google ignores the keywords before but always put them in just in-case. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Another thing he stresses is to use rich text markup especially for the 'author' and 'yreferences' I had been led to beleive that these had no effect yet but it sounds like they have quite a strong effect. He says you need a good mug shot on your profile to have it appear in the search results, is this true or can I use a company logo etc?

Im going to start an SEO blog / diary on my own personal website where I can document each thing Im trying to implement and how successful they are and also experiment with it.

Oh and yes the book is annoying the way its continually trying to pimp out his services.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    That's true. Google does ignore them. They've even stated as such. In this case, you have to read between the lines a bit in that they tell you the meta tags that they do use, but you'll see that keywords isn't one of them.

https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/79812?hl=en

The whole "let your competitor's SEO company know what search terms you're targeting" is nonsense. Chances are if you thought of them, any competitor is capable of thinking of them as well. Since certain tier two engines still use the tag, and Bing does as well (although there's a bizarre rumor that it's a "spam signal"). Use it, but don't kill yourself with it.

Rich text markup is a good thing to use. It won't improve "ranking" as such, but what it can and usually does improve is your click-through ratio (CTR)...meaning people who use the markup are more likely to have their search results clicked on. I tried a logo and it doesn't show up; I refuse to experiment with a mug shot as people have a tendency to take other people's pictures and use them in inappropriate ways, so I never put my picture online as a result. That's something Google and Facebook and the rest really need to start learning.

One thing about your SEO diary idea...it's next to impossible to examine an SEO concept in isolation and determine whether or not it works because there are so many factors, and so many of those factors in turn are interconnected. You might do one thing, think it works, and not realize that it's a combination with another factor that makes it work.
    medlington likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks, some good info there.

I did think if the keywords made any difference to the other search engines then they would be worth keeping as if I get higher up one of the other engines and get more exposure then I may get some natural links from other places anyway which in turn will help me up the Google list

Remove Ads