Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By delstu2
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: SEO Black Book and Tribe Pro, good or bad?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

SEO Black Book and Tribe Pro, good or bad?

Hi,

Im doing some SEO work for a client and they went out and bought this 'SEO Black Book' written by R.L.Adams

Now they bought this book based on Amazon reviews I think but they are insisting that we work through it to do the SEO, having had a quick glance at some of it I started to think the author didnt really know what he was talking about or his knowledge was out of date as he was stating that Twitter links were very good for SEO whereas I thought they were pretty much worthless other than a few other websites may scrape the twitter feed and then post the links on pages with out nofollow links etc. Also the name of the book suggests to me that hes offering black hat techniques even though he states they are white hat.

Some of the software and web services he recommends seem rather spammy to me too, one of these is called Tribe Pro, does anyone have any experience of this? it sounds like you write an article and share it, then everyone else shares it so you get lots of separate links. This sounds bad to me as it will all be from duplicate content for a start.

Can anyone give me any info about it?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    First of all, do you know what makes someone a white hat SEO? (S)he says (s)he's a white hat SEO. It's easy. See? I'm a white hat SEO. Say it yourself, and you instantly become one. It's kind of like spending $140 on the Ministry in a Box...fill out the credit card form, wait 3-6 weeks for the kit to show up, and you are now an expert at ordaining weddings, giving eulogies at funerals for people you don't even know, and all sorts of other fun cult stuff. No prior experience necessary, folks!

I've never read that book, nor have I heard of that software. But two things should make this really easy to convince your client not to use the book:

1) The Twitter example...or any link example, for that matter. Inbound links are not SEO. They're not, and they're not going to be. Yes, inbound links are a ranking factor, but there is no way whatsoever to determine if a link does provide a ranking benefit...only ways to tell if it doesn't. The rel="nofollow" attribute is one example. Another is a link on a page that doesn't appear to be indexed or is blocked from obedient bots in some fashion (e.g. robots.txt directive, link hidden in an admin / private area). The only valid measure of the worth of a link to you and your client is in the converting traffic it sends (or doesn't).

Here's another way to look at the link thing. What is the purpose of SEO? To send converting traffic. So if you're acquiring links for "SEO" reasons, you're acquiring links because you want them to boost your search engine presence and therefore send you more converting traffic. Seems a little indirect, doesn't it? Wouldn't it make more sense to acquire links that send converting traffic in the first place, diversify your link sources, and not have to worry about whether or not it'll "boost your ranking"? Just to clarify, I mean "earn organically" and "acquire through legitimate means such as asking a supplier to link to your site because you sell the supplier's products" when I use the word "acquire".

2) They're recommending TribePro. Never heard of it, but it seems to me that someone who is an expert at making sure messages get blasted out to all sorts of "social media sites" would have their own Twitter feed working at the bottom of Tribe Pro Dot Com as opposed to lorem ipsum text.

If you get a PDF of the book, post it somewhere...I'm sure someone worth his or her salt (e.g. delstu2) will tear it apart.
    delstu2 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I took a look at the Tribe Pro site and I can see that they spam your content in as many places as they can find (Choose from 51+ top social media and social bookmarking websites and other resources). I don't use nearly that many.

If you are working social media, each site needs custom written content, especially written for their audience. Many marketers are calling this content marketing (close, but not quit accurate). ROI for social media marketing done right is very difficult to measure since it is a long term project - think building relationships and branding.

"spinnable messages" - long known to be downgraded by Google, and several other bad practices. The entire site seems to promote spam techniques. If the book is anything like Tribe Pro, I would throw it in the trash.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for confirming what I thought, there is a chapter on unique content writing which will probably be a lesson on spinning articles.

Also as a related note, the author also suggests using SEOQuake, is that any good or are all the stats it shows you only useful for these spammy techniques?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The programmers who made SEOQuake are the same ones who made SEMRush, one of the most garbage tools going.

Allow me to give you an example, if I may:

strikespots.com - SEMrush's main report for domain

According to this wonderful tool, I get about 400-800 Canadian visitors per month from search engines to strikespots.com. To give you an idea of how "accurate" the tool is, add a 0 to any total you see and then multiply the figure by a factor of 4-7. That's more accurate than it was last year, when the decimal needed to be moved over twice. But that's still about 95-98% inaccurate and doesn't really reflect the growth of the site.

In other words, it's not that the tool is "spammy" as such...it's just a wildly inaccurate guesser tool that ultimately tells you nothing.
    medlington likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks again, I did think the figures it was quoting were wrong as I had a good idea of what some of them should be and they were no where near

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Actually, if you want a real test...use the client's site. See what your client's traffic is, see how it stacks up to the SEMrush tool, and you'll probably see similar results.

Member #
    There are many myths about SEO, but I tell you the truth. A person can do-it-yourself and carry as a professional. Would you be willing to do a lot of practices to optimize your site if you want to succeed? There is a lot of information on the Internet SEO. Some say that creating a high note and sent a number of RSS. Others say that it is necessary to link the reaction. This is the only way to the first page of Google?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Ummmmm....errrr....uhhhh...what?
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Remove Ads