Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: article submission

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

article submission

Hi,

We are just generating a lot of PR for a site Im promoting, the site is selling eco-friendly recyclable plastic shopping trolleys and other products for the retail sector.

From this PR we are expecting to get some good articles in the national press etc. We are also getting some articles written about sustainability and other 'green' issues that will link to the site.

Whats the best thing to do with these press releases / articles?

Should I just leave them to be posted on the relevant newspaper websites or should I upload the articles onto other 'article' type websites? this would mean duplicate content so wouldnt be very good Id imagine but then they could get picked up by someone who doesnt read the relevant newspaper. Is it worth doing anyway just to increase exposure to the article and the website or could we risk a penalty?

Also for the articles written for us rather than the newspapers, where is the best place to submit these articles? Can anyone recommend any websites or are all these types of websites a bad idea?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    PR as in PageRank or PR as in promotion?

If articles are being written in mainstream media sources, let the writers decide where and how to distribute their articles so that you don't inadvertently hurt their efforts.

The articles written for your site should 1) be of high quality and by experts and 2) stay on your site. The whole article farm thing got busted in about 2009 and with good reason...there were a few good articles that were well-thought-out and original, but most were just regurgitated crap. Besides, if it's your content, you control it best by keeping it on your site.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    PR as in promotion, so if I keep adding good quality articles to the site and submitting them to Google in a sitemap then they will get indexed without the need for any external links?

This is the bit I get a bit stuck with when it comes to SEO, how you get your great content noticed if not by actively building links to it to let people know its there?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You can use a sitemap, but for the most part it doesn't matter. If you have a site that is structured properly and easy to navigate, Google will find pretty much everything without the sitemap.

The whole link thing has everyone completely thrown for a loop when it comes to "SEO". First of all, links aren't SEO and SEO isn't links, contrary to what one of The Leaders has openly stated. One cannot optimize that which one cannot control, and there is no argument that changes that. Second, the links that matter are the ones that can send measurable, converting traffic. For example, if you get published in the Sun and your article is directly under a picture of the Page 3 girl (yeah, some of us know about Page 3 here in Canada), you might get some eyeballs to your site as soon as people get their eyeballs off the Page 3 girl. And they may buy your client's products and services. That's a link worth having. If you're talking about "SEO backlinks"...waste of time. Google in particular has been cracking down on them for years, and with good reason...they're not editorial, organic links. So submitting an article to 1000 article farms doesn't do any good. Submitting to 1000 directories won't do any good, although a few topical directories might from a traffic point of view (which is the only valid measure of the quality of a link). All the nonsense India tells us to do won't do you any good. Your general plan seems like a decent one, though...focus on building traffic as such, not worrying as much about whether or not links will generate search benefit which in turn will generate traffic. You can't measure it anyway, so why bother worrying about it?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yeah I understand that links should only be built for useful traffic purposes NOT to get you up Google, Its just the getting the content to show up in the list without building links that confuses me, especially for sites that have what I could call a dull product or service.

One site Im working on is for football goals, as in the actual goal posts. Now this company has invented their own 'pop up' goal posts and have got famous goalkeepers such as Brad Friedle to do video reviews about them. Also there has been an article in the main stream press about Mike D of the Beastie boys which showed his fancy house in New York, in the garden was one of the goals my clients have created. Now this site seems easy to promote as there are no end of football forums to go on and post links to a good relevant audience who may well want to buy these football goals also theres lots of interesting things to write about such as the Mike D thing and they can also write general football related articles etc. So they have interesting content and lots of outlets for it.

The other main site Im working on at the moment supply shopping trolleys to supermarkets. This is where my issue comes in, who actually wants to read articles about shopping trolleys, where should this site be promoted to reach a relevant audience and what kind of things should be written about these shopping trolleys? It is a dull product and Im strugling to find an audience to engage with. However I want this site to be no1 if someone searches for wholesale shopping trolleys etc as it may be a dull product to me but one sale for my client can make them millions.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You should struggle with it. Some sites simply are dull by their very nature and have a very limited audience. I used to work on a site up until 5 years ago for a government organization whose sole purpose was to offer accreditation assistance to Canadian immigrants (i.e. taking their accreditations from their former countries and figuring out what additional courses, etc. would need to be taken to secure the equivalent Canadian accreditation). Now, most people haven't even heard of the word "accreditation", including the immigrant base that would have the most use for it. It's a ridiculously long word and there's no short synonym for it. So what I had to do was build something to allow my client to list other services of use to immigrants and partner up with those services to send clients back and forth as needed. This sounds like a link exchange on the surface, but in this particular case it was a referral exchange...each partner knew the other partner's services and referred clients where and when appropriate. The services were also clearly explained and the partners met regularly and in 2006 five of them got together and consolidated several of the services into one building.

Now, you obviously aren't going to do that with shopping carts. In fact, you aren't going to do that with anything that isn't government-related or NGO. That's the point. You have to figure out something specific to that client, and in some cases the answer is either going to be strange or there isn't going to be any at all. About the only thing I'd come up with is a directory of stores that use the carts as free promotion, but it's not likely to do the stores much good since end users are looking for groceries and couldn't care less about the things they smash about in the process.

Look at it this way...the client would struggle to find customers on his/her own with that product since there aren't a lot of marketing outlets for it. You're going to do likewise, and understandably so.
    medlington likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Cheers, the angle Im going to take is one of Eco-friendlyness and recyclability as this is their USP really. The shopping trolleys and baskets he sells are all 100% recyclable so Im going to have some articles written on sustainabilty and green living and then link these to the site.

So maybe an article saying if all supermarkets swapped to plastic shopping trolleys instaed of metal ones then the carbon footprint will be lowered etc. Maybe even create a link to a petition on the petition the goverment site we have over here to ask for legislation to be made for all supermarkets to use a certain percent of recyclable trolleys etc.

I feel this would be a good quality article that people will be interested in but it isnt directly about selling shopping trolleys. Do you think this is a good idea?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    It might be if you can target the right market with it and take the roundabout route. I'd write that article for say an environmental magazine as a new innovation and see if you can get the green crowd to do their unique brand of "protesting" (read into the air quotes what you will) and bother grocery stores to use more eco-friendly shopping carts.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Google News?

Ive not come across that before, just had a quick look and I cant see anyway of submitting an article to it, it looks like it just aggregates content from other main stream news agencies, can you tell me how to submit or do I just need to get something in themain stream media?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Just ignore the babbling troll, medlington. I've banned it for being consistently stupid and offering no real advice.
    medlington likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads