Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Help - Wix, Shopify, Squarespace SEO or other alternatives

Member #

Help - Wix, Shopify, Squarespace SEO or other alternatives

Hi All,

New to the forum and my apologies if this question has been asked over and over again. I had a quick look at the latest posts and couldn't find anything.

So here's my scenario:

1) I've recently started a new business and have limited capital as it is currently tied up in raw materials and production. My new business requires an online store for the retail sector, as well as the wholesale sector (members would log in to different pricing structure for wholesale).

2) I know nothing about coding and due to my limited capital, I was drawn to websites such as Squarespace, Wix or Shopify (as opposed to having my website developed by a professional - this simply isn't an option). However, after speaking to a very green worker who works within the SEO space, he mentioned that these types of websites are horrible from an SEO ranking perspective (He gave a horrendous review on WIX, compared to the other 2). Initially I thought squarespace was great, but as I don't know coding, I was limited with the changes that I could make to the page.

My questions

1) Is Wix really as bad as they say it is from a SEO perspective? Are the other template builders just as bad? If so, why is this the case?
    2) a) Should I just set-up my website to get an online presence and then implement a running change when capital becomes available?
    b) As per the question 2a) - Is it counterproductive in setting up a website if it cannot be found from a search engine perspective?
    3) Are there other alternatives out in the market that I could use to build a website (without coding). I.e Could I develop a store on WordPress without coding? Would dreamweaver work (I actually have the software)?

I also heard that google will be punishing people who don't have a responsive website. Therefore, I would need to take this into consideration with my website.

Look forward to hearing any advice that can be provided.

Thanks,

andrew

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi Andrew,

1) The answer here is "it doesn't matter." Wix is not built for say a whole bunch of products or a wholesale vs. retail setup. It's meant for "hi, I'm Bob the plumber/photographer/wedding coordinator/some other service and/or local business. Here's my page. Come hire me to do the thing I say I'm good at. It's not meant to sell things. Yes, I know they have an "online store" option, but it won't allow you to do retail vs. wholesale pricing and Wix primarily hangs it hat on "easy". So it's out for those reasons alone. Forget SEO.

Squarespace and Shopify are also likely out for the "wholesale" reason. Squarespace "sort of" seems to have a way, but it's awkward.

How do I integrate a wholesale section in my ecommerce site? - Squarespace Answers

Shopify can, but then you have to add an app to it.

https://apps.shopify.com/wholesaler

This is where "what seems to be cheap suddenly gets more expensive." And you're just talking about one customization...a not completely uncommon one, but as you grow your business you'll find you'll want to do other things that these carts just can't. So at some point, you'll need a developer...not a designer, a developer. Basically, a programmer.

2) a) It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. At least you'd know your market, find out if they do/don't want to order online, and go from there. Your wholesale market in particular might be harder to get to order online...usually with large quantities, wholesalers tend to want POs, terms, etc. So putting through a credit card for 100 wholesale widgets is not as likely as getting a retail customer who wants to order one.

The other problem you may have, and you may want to talk this over with your wholesale market first, is that they may not want you to sell to retail customers. I have clients in retail and one thing that drives them insane to no end is to see a manufacturer selling off his/her own product when the client wants to link his/her customer to the manufacturer's product page for say manuals or other information that the client may not want to store or maintain. You may get the sale, but the client loses the sale, and the one widget you sell may cost you much more from a larger client. That's a tradeoff you want to consider if you haven't yet.

That's why i say "launch, see what happens, and figure out the next step based on it."

b) Yes, but there's no correlation between launching a site with/without e-commerce and being found. You might get a traffic boost from things such as shopping portals and Adwords if your products have pricing, but those are marketing efforts. Your content and your site structure and knowing what you're doing indicates whether or not you'll be found.

3) You could, but the difference between building an e-commerce store in WP and building it in say Wix is the difference between stabbing at your own eyes with a razor blade as opposed to a pencil. You're still going to suffer needlessly either way.The major e-commerce product available for WP is called WooCommerce, and it is very awkward to use. I have actually solved problems with WP sites simply by removing WooCommerce completely. It's garbage.

Google isn't exactly "punishing" people. They're sending out mass notices to let people know "hey, put up a mobile friendly site so we can flag it as such in searches". Mind you, the flag they've come up with is almost unnoticeable. It's a good idea, but it needs tweaking on Google's part...which usually means it gets tweaked and becomes an awesome idea later on.
    aleask86 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Wow. What a response! Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed response.

Having taken into consideration what you've said, I think I'll do the following:

1) Launch a retail site with Wix, Shopify or Squarespace (please see further questions below).
    2) Forget about wholesale. You hit the nail on the head with your comments (thanks, I'm thinking way too big, above and beyond where my business is currently at). My wholesale customers would send through PO's! It wouldn't be a requirement that I have an integrated system for PO's. There system would generate a PO and it would be e-mailed through to me. Easy!

When I make comments about SEO, I know it's very basic questions, without taking into consideration the overall elements, so I'm sorry that they are probably incredibly vague and stupid.

1) Are there any 'objective' (not commission influenced) websites that you could recommend I review in terms of the 'essential things to consider for the BEST POSSIBLE SEO Factors'? I found a useful website - Note: this relates to dreamweaver - SEO: 13 Tips to Make Your Dreamweaver Site More Search Engine Friendly - Web Design Training courses, videos & tutorials at DigitalFamily.comWeb Design Training courses, videos & tutorials at DigitalFamily.com

2) Do any of the the 3 template builders (wix, squarespace or shopify) have any major hindering seo aspects associated with them? A SEO consultant told me WIX is horrible. Their 'easy' solution compromised certain aspects of links and apparently when the website is launched, google see's it as 'one big picture' and makes all the information uncrawlable for the search engine. Apparently there is also a breakdown with links as well?

3) If the answers in question 2 is okay and I went for Wix - I noticed there plans say - 10gb wider bandwidth and 20gb bigger storage / month. Would something like that be acceptable for a page with 10 products and say 100 photos at 4mb each? Once again, I really don't understand this side of things.

4) I'm in the seat cover manufacturing game - Currently my domain name isn't seat cover specific. Using Ford Ranger seat covers as an example - most people would search - 'Ford Ranger car seat covers'. Would having a domain name such as www.carseatcovers(then something else catchy).com.au rank my website higher. Or will other elements be okay www.domainname.com.au/(fordrangerseatcovers) with the other SEO factors.

I'm overanalysing the situation and need to just pick something and action it! If I need to make a change at a later stage than so be it. But as it currently stands all of my income is purely generated through sites such as eBay. I'm finding myself procrastinating or searching for the best possible solution. I'm just so concerned about making a decision and it being the wrong one that wastes a lot of time (however, that's what I'm doing at the moment)!

Once again, any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Credit all goes to Wix shopify and squarespace, These sites are not helpful for SEO purpose.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aleask86 View Post
    Wow. What a response! Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed response.

Having taken into consideration what you've said, I think I'll do the following:

1) Launch a retail site with Wix, Shopify or Squarespace (please see further questions below).
    2) Forget about wholesale. You hit the nail on the head with your comments (thanks, I'm thinking way too big, above and beyond where my business is currently at). My wholesale customers would send through PO's! It wouldn't be a requirement that I have an integrated system for PO's. There system would generate a PO and it would be e-mailed through to me. Easy!

When I make comments about SEO, I know it's very basic questions, without taking into consideration the overall elements, so I'm sorry that they are probably incredibly vague and stupid.

1) Are there any 'objective' (not commission influenced) websites that you could recommend I review in terms of the 'essential things to consider for the BEST POSSIBLE SEO Factors'? I found a useful website - Note: this relates to dreamweaver - SEO: 13 Tips to Make Your Dreamweaver Site More Search Engine Friendly - Web Design Training courses, videos & tutorials at DigitalFamily.comWeb Design Training courses, videos & tutorials at DigitalFamily.com

2) Do any of the the 3 template builders (wix, squarespace or shopify) have any major hindering seo aspects associated with them? A SEO consultant told me WIX is horrible. Their 'easy' solution compromised certain aspects of links and apparently when the website is launched, google see's it as 'one big picture' and makes all the information uncrawlable for the search engine. Apparently there is also a breakdown with links as well?

3) If the answers in question 2 is okay and I went for Wix - I noticed there plans say - 10gb wider bandwidth and 20gb bigger storage / month. Would something like that be acceptable for a page with 10 products and say 100 photos at 4mb each? Once again, I really don't understand this side of things.

4) I'm in the seat cover manufacturing game - Currently my domain name isn't seat cover specific. Using Ford Ranger seat covers as an example - most people would search - 'Ford Ranger car seat covers'. Would having a domain name such as www.carseatcovers(then something else catchy).com.au rank my website higher. Or will other elements be okay www.domainname.com.au/(fordrangerseatcovers) with the other SEO factors.

I'm overanalysing the situation and need to just pick something and action it! If I need to make a change at a later stage than so be it. But as it currently stands all of my income is purely generated through sites such as eBay. I'm finding myself procrastinating or searching for the best possible solution. I'm just so concerned about making a decision and it being the wrong one that wastes a lot of time (however, that's what I'm doing at the moment)!

Once again, any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andrew
    Just saw this in the moderation queue. I guess the links bothered vBulletin. At any rate, I approved it. My bad.

As far as the first question goes, 1), 2), 3), 5), 6) and 7) are good ideas. 4) isn't a ranking factor or used at all; 3) isn't either, but it can be used to generate traffic via the use of an appealing meta description. 8) needs to be organic and relevant to what you're doing, as does 9) and 10)...there's also an element of "generic advice that needs to be explained more thoroughly than a blog post really can." 11) works, again, if it's organic and relevant...never do anything for "SEO reasons". You'll lose. 12) works if it's your template and not a canned template. 13) is true.

2) It does to a point. Wix provides Google with a "crawlable alternative" (i.e. non-Javascript alternative) that does present the individual pages, but not with the links most people would see and share with others (hence, the "breakdown with links"). It's not HORRIBLE from an SEO point of view, but it's not very good either.

Most truly "SEO friendly" solutions tend to lean toward the more difficult from a coding and design point of view, as they require customization and stripping of elements that aren't essential to the specific site. Neither Wix, Squarespace, nor Shopify will allow for things like this.

3) Bandwidth is more important than storage. The reason is pretty simple...multiple people will potentially access files on your server. I usually use a 20:1 rule (20x more bandwidth than storage) to allow for this. The answer to this question depends on the total bandwidth and storage your site will require.

4) Simple answer: not really. Google put a damper on any weight from domain names in (IIRC) 2013 because too many people were registering "keyword-rich" domain names. This falls under the "if you can think of a cheap and easy shortcut, Google has known about it and blocked it off. They're smarter than you." That, and if this were true, sites such as Amazon and eBay wouldn't receive any search engine referral traffic because their domains are generic.

One other thing: if you procrastinate because you're scared about making the wrong decision, the non-decision you end up making will be the wrong decision. You'll need to do something and take a risk. That's just business. Do your homework, yes, but don't put off a decision any longer than you absolutely need to.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads