Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

structured data for a football match

Hi,

Im trying to add structured data tags to my site for a football match preview but getting a couple of errors when I put it through the testing tool here:

https://developers.google.com/struct.../testing-tool/

Heres my code but its flagging no address:

Code:
    <div itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/SportsEvent">
        <div itemprop="name"><strong>Team A V Team B at location A</strong></div>
        <div itemprop="description">Football match between team A and team B which will be held at Locatin A at 15:00</div>
        <div itemprop="location">Bramall Lane

<div itemprop="streetAddress">7, Duncan Rd</div>
        <div><span itemprop="addressLocality">Sheffeild</span>, <span itemprop="addressRegion">south Yorks</span></div>
        <div itemprop="postalCode">s10 1sp</div>
        <div itemprop="addressCountry">UK</div>

</div>
        <div><meta itemprop="startDate" content="2015-11-21T12:00">Starts: 11/21/2015 15:00PM</div>

<meta itemprop="endDate" content="2015-11-21:00.000">Ends: 2015-11-21:00.000
    <meta itemprop="duration" content="0000-00-00T01:30">Duration: 01:30
    </div>
    Ive tried adding the address lines in a few different places but I get the same result, I think maybe there are different tags for the location address rather than the event address if that makes sense.

Can anyone see whats wrong or give me an example format for a typical football game?

I want to define,

home team
    away team

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Itemtype should always be on the closest tag to the data. Name should be on your strong tag. Then you should have location nested, looking something like this:

Code:
    <div itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/SportsEvent">
        <div itemprop="name"><strong>Team A V Team B at location A</strong></div>
        <div itemprop="description">Football match between team A and team B which will be held at Locatin A at 15:00</div>
        <div itemprop="location" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Place">
            <div itemprop="name">Bramall Lane</div>
            <div itemprop="streetAddress">7, Duncan Rd</div>
            <span itemprop="addressLocality">Sheffeild</span>, <span itemprop="addressRegion">south Yorks</span></div>
            <div itemprop="postalCode">s10 1sp</div>
            <div itemprop="addressCountry">UK</div>
        </div>
    <div>
    There are more issues than just your structured data. Your use of divs, spans and metas just doesn't make sense to me. These kinds of issues are hurting your SEO more than structured data would help.

Just a tip: Use CSS to style, not HTML.
    Last edited by brandMatt; Nov 09th, 2015 at 11:04 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks but your code throws up more errors than mine?

I dont have any issue with divs and spans on my site, thats just some code that I copied from an example schema site and was trying to get it to validate in the testing tool, then I was going to apply it to my site structure.

Out of interest whats wrong with it anyway, all the tags look properly nested and closed to me?

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Divs are meant for dividing content, not storing text. It seems whoever wrote that html was using divs and spans for their display properties. I've never seen meta tags used like that before, I've only ever seen meta tags used in the head, though I could be wrong on that last part. Divs are naturally a block level element, and spans are naturally an inline element. Sure you can use a div to store text and it will work, though it will not be favoured by a search engine.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Interesting, Ive never heard anything about the use of divs instead of spans having any effect on SEO, I thought they were just structural and down to personal preference. Personally I do tend to use divs instead of spans for most things myself anyway and just float them left if I want inline things.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

structured data for a football match

You've never heard anything about HTML hierarchy affecting SEO? Content is king when it comes to SEO. Structuring that content properly has weight too.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Can you show me a link to any examples of this as I dont believe the use of spans over divs has any effect on SEO at all. Spiders wont even read it and as long as everything is nested correctly and validates I cant see why it would make any difference.

As youve said 'content is king' yet the use of spans and divs is structural not content?

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    You are right. I am wrong. Apparently invalid HTML has no effect on your pages ranking. Many professors have taught me otherwise. I'm sorry for the misinformation.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    no probs, although interchanging spans with divs wouldn't even be classed as invalid HTML, I think its perfectly valid just down to personal choice

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    You're right it wouldn't make it invalid, just inappropriately used. Though invalid or inappropriately used HTML will still render just fine in a browser. It's such a forgiving language, even too forgiving.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca

Remove Ads