Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do changes in website navigations affect search results

Member #

Do changes in website navigations affect search results

My client has a website that ranks well in Google search results. They want to make some changes in the navigation, move some pages around, create dropdowns, etc.
    They are afraid this will affect their excellent search rankings. Any truth to that?

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    That depends! Why do they want to make changes? Who benefits?
    What kind of nav system are they using now? Is it text links, flash, or something else?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Rankings or converting referral traffic? There's a difference.

If they're not receiving converting referral traffic, then you really don't have anything to lose by trying it. If their referral traffic is converting, then proceed with caution.
    brandMatt likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Well Navigation is counted in internal linking which is one of the main factor of SEO after meta title, description and keywords.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Game's anwser is spot on! If the traffic is coming from a link shared by who ever and you change that link, the user will not get to that page.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brandMatt View Post
    Game's anwser is spot on! If the traffic is coming from a link shared by who ever and you change that link, the user will not get to that page.
    Would doing a redirect from the old link to the new help solve that problem?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's always the potential for loss, although a proper 301 should more or less mitigate said loss.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    Would doing a redirect from the old link to the new help solve that problem?
    I'd like to think it would. Depending on the amount of unique redirects, that may be rather complex.

For example say my site has several different post types, each would need their own redirect. That would mean a separate redirect for each post type. Then there are the pages, each of those might need it's own redirect.

I think I am assuming the amount of changes are huge, same with the complexity of the site structure(old and/or new). With a basic brochure website, I am sure one redirect would cover everything.
    Last edited by brandMatt; Nov 25th, 2015 at 07:56 AM.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #

Changes in Nav affect SEO?

Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    That depends! Why do they want to make changes? Who benefits?
    What kind of nav system are they using now? Is it text links, flash, or something else?
    They are using text links in the nav. The nav menu is just the actual pages on the site. Client wants to rearrange the Nav for appearance, but all page links will remain the same. Will that affect their page rank in Google?

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Read the whole thread.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads