Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How do I know where I am ranking?

Member #

How do I know where I am ranking?

Hi,

I'm really confused about "SEO" in the sense that I don't know how my website's google ranking is doing and what I need to improve.

How do i check where my website is ranking for specific keywords or in general?

Regards,
    SparkD

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The short answer is "you don't." Now, you will hear a bunch of stuff about Tool X or SEO Supersite Y and how you can check your ranking on them. They're what I like to call "incorrect guessers."

Here are three reasons that make rank checking useless:

1) Geolocation. Different results for different areas.
    2) Device. Mobile vs. desktop/laptop, for example.
    3) Personal settings. Are you logged in or not? Makes a difference.

If you want to know how you're really doing, check your site traffic. See what's being referred and how often. That, and only that, will tell you whether or not your SEO efforts are effective.
    SparkD, bleau canon and delstu like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Ahrefs (ahrefs.com) is really pricey if its just for personal use, but if you sign up for a free account it comes with a tool called Rank Tracker for one website and up to five search terms. It then tells you, for a specific location, how that term ranks on desktop and mobile.

Screenshot from 2016-07-02 11:42:11.jpg

This is good for tracking how well you are ranking for specific terms that you *want* to rank for.

Google's Webmaster Tools (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/) (now called Google Search Console, but no-one calls it that), alternatively, is free and tells you how well you are doing in terms of ranking, click through, conversions for terms that you are *currently* ranking for. So it's less good for planning ahead, but great for measuring the end result.

Screenshot from 2016-07-02 11:46:22.jpg
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ahrefs runs a rogue bot. I've seen it try to visit pages that I've blocked from bots specifically, and suck up a lot of bandwidth in the process. I'm not alone, either.

http://blocklistpro.com/content-scra...o-spybots.html

Webmaster Tools is more useful for the conversions than it is for the "ranking". I don't know why Google insists on offering the "ranking" information...well, I do, but I wish they wouldn't because it really doesn't establish anything. It's definitely the best of the third-party tools that you'll find, but it won't help you as far as "ranking" is concerned. Nothing really will.
    sarahswansea likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    That's pretty sucky. Of all those types of websites, Ahrefs leads on accuracy but that's a good reminder that yes they're using all sorts of tricks to get those results and you shouldn't trust it 100%. Moz is another one - but you have to wait *months and months* for their index to update.

And you're right about Webmaster Tools too - impressions and clicks/conversions is the really valuable information. There's no point having the #1 spot if your competitor at #2 has a smarter title getting most of the clicks. And sometimes its better to rank #7 for something 10,000 people search for, than #1 for something 10 people search for.

And then you want to look at your own internal statistics. Maybe the link that 10 people search for are all guaranteed sales, and the link drawing 1,000s of hits won't lead to a single one.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahswansea View Post
    And then you want to look at your own internal statistics. Maybe the link that 10 people search for are all guaranteed sales, and the link drawing 1,000s of hits won't lead to a single one.
    ..which is precisely the reason ranking doesn't matter.

Moz themselves ran rogue bots back in the day. I don't know whether or not they still do, though.

How To Block The Bots SEOmoz *Isn?t* Telling You About | Smackdown!

Junior Member josephfranklin166's Avatar
    Member #
    I think google analytics may help to check, rankings for different type of keywords. There are some tool also which may help you.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    There are 2 tools that can help you to see where are you are ranking. Paid tool - Semrush and free tool - Google Webmaster Tools.
    What semrush does is scraping millions of unpersonalised search queries.
    While Webmaster tools is presenting ranks for personalised searches. Also while checking ranks in webmaster tools, you have to use geographical limit

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zaktomlinson View Post
    What semrush does is scraping millions of unpersonalised search queries.
    Which is another reason I'm not a fan of SEMRush. If they're doing that and they're not doing it manually (which they almost certainly aren't), they've either bought into the Google Paid Search or they're scraping.

If they're scraping search results, they're violating Google's ToS...and more importantly, they're jackasses because they're running rogue bots. That's the worst case scenario.
    If they've gone down the Paid Search route, then let's do some math:

https://www.google.com/work/search/p...ricing_content

According to the pricing, the minimum price per search is $0.004 ($2000 for up to 500,000 searches/year...$2000 / 500,000 = 0.004) before you get into enterprise-level searching. Let's keep that price because it isn't going to be any higher than that (although enterprise-level searching isn't quoted expressly, one can safely assume a volume discount...we're going to ignore that here).

According to SEMRush, they run 3 million searches per day on the "US Database" of 40 million keywords. 3,000,000 x 0.004 = $12,000 a day, or $4,392,000 this year in the pockets of Google; I'm using this year specifically because it's a leap year (in non-leap years, this works out to $4,380,000). Also according to SEMRush, they have 120,000,000 keywords in databases...since that's 3 x 40 million, we can triple the $4,392,000 to get a "high side estimate" of the money going to Google. This works out to $13,176,000 at the absolute most.

Some of you will probably say "why would Google turn down $13,176,000?" Economies of scale. Google grossed $74,500,000,000 last year.

Google announces Q4 and FY 2015 earnings: $74.5 billion in revenue for the year, $21.3 billion for Q4 | Android Central

$13,176,000 / $74,500,000,000 approximately 0.018%, which is the mathematical percentage Jon Stewart had in mind when he referred to "asswipe money" in Death to Smoochy...and again, that's a high-side estimate. Does anyone out there believe that Google would willingly supply data to a company that is reselling it at ridiculous markups to people that are buying it specifically to screw with the company selling it in the first place? That's too much suspension of disbelief for me personally.

There is a possible scenario whereby Google would supply the data to SEMRush, buy an account to see how it's presented, and screw with the data going to SEMRush just to throw SEOs off the scent...but even that's a stretch.

Point being...take SEMRush data with a very large grain of salt.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you're doing or keeping continue your website SE optimization you can use some serp checking tool to track keyword ranking progress & search presence!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads