Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By delstu
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By newyweb
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Silo seo

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Silo seo

Hi folks, new here.

Thought Id start a post about this nitty gritty topic.

Now SILO Seo seems to be a big deal in SEO. It is the categorisation of pages based on parent keywords. I.E Graphic design filters out to; Logo Design, Business Card Design, Banner design.

These 3 examples are the child of graphic design. From my understanding, these pages are tightly relevant to graphic design and must not link out to other pages not relevant. Instead they must link to other sections of the website which are related.

This is done in order to produce a potent link juice flow which gets better with relevancy.

Now is there much more to it than this? Please share for our fellow web designers to digest.

Thanks
    Newy Web
    Last edited by newyweb; Sep 09th, 2016 at 11:42 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Where did you find this? It sounds like something you would find on the Warrior Forum (beware of anything found there). This is nothing new (I've been doing this for 14 years); it seems like someone is attempting to create a new package (repurposing old material) with a catchy title to sell to newbies.
    Last edited by delstu; Sep 10th, 2016 at 08:12 AM.
    newyweb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) Open up a major news site. New York Times, Toronto Star, Washington Post, Huffington Post, USA Today, it really doesn't matter which...as long as it's a news site for a major daily.
    2) Look at all of the major sections that the site covers. News. Entertainment. Sports. Financial. Technology. Lifestyle. Crosswords. The funny pages.
    3) Imagine what would happen from the standpoint of a typical news site user if the user wanted to browse multiple sections and the major daily decided to "Silo SEO" the site. Think about what would happen if the user wanted to go from say the sports section of the site to check to see how his/her stocks were doing (i.e. Financial). No navigation. No links. It's a separate section, right?

This is why "Silo SEO" is, and always was, yet another in a long list of Guru SEO Techniques that inevitably fail. They're so focused on minutiae designed to move up 3 places on a Google SERP that they ignore the user.
    newyweb likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Well firstly, stuff the Warrior Forum thats a heap of BS. I first learnt about Silo SEO from a company a friend of mine worked for (aiad.com.au), they seem to market the living hell out of it from they're sky rise office. I would say it isn't new as it is obviously just categorisation(right?).

But a little research can show you that there is tons of results for it. I don't imply that it is a magical trick which cures cancer but, perhaps the "repackaging of old material" sells. I guess the old term its not what you do, but how you do it may be relevant here.

So I guess the answer Im looking for now is, why does a company like AIAD seem to focus heavily on it during marketing in "cold canvassing, adwords etc" its also there highest selling package according to my friend whom worked there as the senior marketer. Has it to do with the fact that it "pricks the ear"?
    Last edited by newyweb; Sep 11th, 2016 at 03:35 AM. Reason: substantiated
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You'll learn this over and over again if you study the "Internet Marketing" industry long enough...it's heavily predicated on follower logic. They saw someone else do it, so they offer it as well. It's stupid, and it shows absolutely no creativity (which is something one would expect from anyone in marketing). Unfortunately, it's the rule and not the exception as it should be.

I wouldn't follow very much of what AIAD does, and I'll show you why in one sentence from their Silo SEO page:
    Guaranteed results or you dont pay
    They can't make that promise. In fact, no one can.

https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/35291?hl=en
    No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google.Beware of SEOs that claim to guarantee rankings, allege a "special relationship" with Google, or advertise a "priority submit" to Google. There is no priority submit for Google. In fact, the only way to submit a site to Google directly is through our Add URL page or by submitting a Sitemap and you can do this yourself at no cost whatsoever.
    Google usually doesn't put things that bluntly. When they do, it's always best to listen because they've thought about it, discussed it, agreed, and then lawyered the statement. In other words, they put it through the wringer.

EDIT: Whenever you're examining statements, it's also best to eliminate all bias associated with relationships if possible and focus on the statements made. In other words, look at AIAD's statements as though your friend never worked there and see if they hold water. You'd be surprised at the number that don't.
    newyweb likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Aha, I see, that's interesting. I guess one would think that google always look to maintain the focus on quality rather than quantity and the avid reader can see if posts and articles have little to no substance. Would you say that AIAD tailor their services to those that are largely unfamiliar with the inner workings of ranking and get thrown off by the use of fancy terminology?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's precisely what I'd say. They don't need a large market share to make their stuff work. They just need one Rich Uncle Sucker corporate wannabe to swallow the tripe without thinking it through and turn into a cash machine for AIAD.
    newyweb likes this.

Remove Ads