Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need step by step advice for showing in search engines!

Hey guys! So it has been a very long time since I have had a website, I bough hosting and a domain last month and have set up wordpress and just done the layout last night and am live and ready!

I'm currently not showing up in any search engines and was wondering what steps I need to do to make sure that I do get in the searches?

I currently have the wordpress plugin Yoast SEO but am not sure if I need to do anything else or if it just takes a while to show up? Website is Elmiee's Journey - A Lifestyle and beauty blog

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You have a new site with one post, and you just wrote it today. You need some content. Now, since this is a blog in the actual sense of the term as opposed to someone using WP for some twisted reason, you're probably going to do what you're supposed to do with WP and...well, log your thoughts, emotions, feelings, moments of extreme clarity, whatever pops into your head. So that's step 1.

There really isn't a particular order as far as additional steps are concerned. I wouldn't bother with Yoast, though. My experience, although limited, is that it does more harm than good. Like most plugins, it slows down WP...and WP is already slow enough as it is...without really adding much of anything in return. Don't worry too much about what it says.

Which leads us to something else you should do: improve everything that you can figure out here (and ask about the things you can't):

https://developers.google.com/speed/...%2F&tab=mobile

One thing off the top that I'll help you with relates to server response time. You're using HostGator for your host. An understandable choice...they're big, they've been around a while, and a whole bunch of people use them.

Unfortunately, it's also one of the wrong choices...and since you're obviously new and learning, this isn't something you'd be expected to know. it's part of the EIG umbrella of hosting brands (think of EIG as the web hosting version of Procter and Gamble but with more brands and less distinction among them):

http://researchasahobby.com/full-lis...panies-brands/ <-- here's the list.
    Top web hosting review sites. What's wrong with them <-- here are some of the reasons why EIG hosts are awful. One of the big ones is that they offer "up to" commissions to affiliates who go around like drones and drop EIG-positive reviews anywhere they possibly can fit and 100 places that they don't.

I have experience with at least 10 of these brands, and all of my experiences have been negative. As the articles indicate, I'm not the only one (I didn't write those articles...I just share them because the guy who did has done a far better job covering the topic than I ever could).

So how does this affect the PageSpeed? Server response time. Servers that are overbooked, not updated regularly, and/or lacking in resources will respond slowly to page requests. HostGator is one of the worst offenders in that regard. So I'd suggest moving elsewhere. I usually suggest people move here, but in your particular case I'm unsure as you're now a Kiwi resident. That would depend on how you're going to market your blog.

Lastly, be patient. You're not going to receive referral traffic in most cases from search engines just because you put something up (notice how I didn't use the phrase "show up in the searches"...one matters, the other doesn't). It takes time, like any other form of marketing. Focus on your content, target people you can share it with, and grow your site traffic organically without necessarily focusing on search. Your search traffic will grow proportionately as you do that. Your first post shows that you at least have the potential to generate some compelling content; it's original, it's honest, and it's yours. Use your blog the way you use life...learn from it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Check out these resources:
    [EDIT: link to Moz and self-promoting link removed by TheGAME1264]
    https://support.google.com/webmaster..._topic=3309300
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Oct 24th, 2016 at 05:10 PM.

Remove Ads