Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Webski

Thread: How long does Google take to remove old page results?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

How long does Google take to remove old page results?

Hi there, I'm very new to building websites, my very first one is Home - Tibetan Spaniel Association

The dog club I wrote the site for want to make sure as many people in the UK that search for Tibetan Spaniels end up at their site. This new site replaced an old one on the same domain name (not in WordPress), but the page names are completely different, the old ones were all named seemingly randomly....such as '/index_page565.htm' and '/index_page917.htm' and so on. The new site has much more descriptive URL's.

So today I've done some SEO work, connected the site to Google Search Console, installed the Yoast SEO WordPress plugin and uploaded a Sitemap to Google. In the search results Google still shows a lot of the old 'page_index' pages, but the new site has only been live a week or so. I've set up some redirects for some of the more popular pages so they go to the correct new page. For instance the old homepage of Home - Tibetan Spaniel Association now goes to the new homepage (do I have to redirect them all?).

How long will it take for Google to drop the old pages from search results and pick up the new ones? Or is that an impossible question Anything else I need to do?

Cheers, Carl

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Have you thought about using noindex on those pages, and if they're not used anymore why not delete them.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the reply. The old website and its pages were completely deleted, this is an all-new site on the same domain. So I guess if the pages aren't there, I can't added noindex to them?

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by esc4p3 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The old website and its pages were completely deleted, this is an all-new site on the same domain. So I guess if the pages aren't there, I can't added noindex to them?
    I doubt you could add anything to a page that's been deleted

We've had this to happen to us only one time. We had actually did a html redirect from an old site to the client's new site on most of the pages until the new site started getting crawled. We gave it about a month and then deleted the pages on the old site and did it in the file manager in their cPanel.

We noticed some of those pages were still showing up in Google. We started monitoring them and they eventually just disappeared and never showed up again. Why they were still showing up? I think the best response we had was they were being cached by Google for awhile.

That's about the best answer I can give you, and I was hoping someone with the same experience would jump in here and give you a better solution. If you'll put up a link to one of the pages we'll check it here in the office and see what we find.

Let us know how it works out for you.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here are a couple of pages still listed by Google:

www.tibetanspanielassoc.co.uk/index_Page448.htm

www.tibetanspanielassoc.co.uk/index_Page471.htm

Actually, looking at this today, I'm pretty sure the number of old "/index_Page" results are less than they were. The two links above don't have redirects on them, so should just return a 'page not available' error, which is fine as they really don't exist. New versions of both these pages do exist, but I'm wary of adding too many redirects. Probably better to just let Google work out that the page is dead and drop the result. The good thing is when I Google "tibetan spaniel association" and then click on 'more results' Google is now listing a lot of my new pages since I uploaded the Sitemap. So perhaps I just need to be patient! (I'm not....)

It is all good learning though, which I'm really enjoying. I'll keep monitoring the results and see how they change.

Member #
    You need to create an htaccess file and do 301 redirects from the old to the new. Google then sees the new as the old

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks, I have the Redirection plugin installed already which I believe will do this for me. I have done some of the pages, will do the rest later.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Also you can try https://support.google.com/websearch.../6349986?hl=en https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals?pli=1 Removing outdated content via Google Search Console to speed up the process.
    esc4p3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Smile

I have had this issue in the past and was able to fix it.

These are strategies that have worked for me. I hope you will find them helpful as well.

Action List:

1. Delete ALL traces of the old pages files, any internal links, etc that are in your FTP Server.
    2. Retrace your steps and make sure to delete all of the backlinks pointing to your old page.
    3. Create New & Better content that is similar to that old content in SEO regards, so Google will be more aware to remove the old search results.

As usual with SEO the time varies and is unknown, but in time 100% this can be fixed.

Good luck

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It is necessary to alter the site map.

Remove Ads