Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By delstu

Thread: Pushing my site up the search rankings

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question Pushing my site up the search rankings

This is kind-of a SEO question.

I've built my site at Home - Tibetan Spaniel Association in WordPress and I have uploaded the sitemap to the Google Search console, used Yoast SEO on all my pages and the site does get listed in search results quite well for such a small site. What I want is for people to land on my site and hang around, look on the site and speak to the breed experts listed on the site to get accurate Tibetan Spaniel information. Hence I wanted to create some more pages to drive people to the site.

I decided to create an FAQ page which is largely based on questions being asked in Google - i.e. when you 'Google' Tibetan Spaniels, you get 'people also searched for....' recommendations. So I used these as a basis to create my FAQ's. I used a plugin for the FAQ's layout and created this page Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Tibetan Spaniel Association

Although the FAQ page contains all the info on one page, each FAQ does have its own unique URL, such as this one What can I feed my Tibetan Spaniel? - Tibetan Spaniel Association . I can see from Google Analytics that these pages have been visited a few times, although I know a few are my own visits! (FAQ page only went live earlier this month) I haven't yet uploaded a new sitemap to Search Console, but will do shortly. As the unique URL's are already being found within Google search, is there anything else I need to do? I was just surprised that the new pages were found that easily, and I think I'm being lulled into a false sense of security!

Finally, the one place my site does poorly is when people search for "Tibetan Spaniel", often the site is way down the list. Is this just a matter of time, or is there anything else I could do?

Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    Now that is an open ended question. The best thing you can do for now is create more unique, high quality content - not just a restatement of what others have said. This alone will raise your site in the rankings.

How many keywords on your list? Where did you find them?

Come back after you have created more content and perhaps we can suggest another step.

here are a few suggested by Google:
    Searches related to tibetan spaniel club uk

tibetan spaniel for sale
    torfness tibetan spaniels
    tibetan spaniel dog show
    dragonsong tibetan spaniels
    lantana tibetan spaniels
    tibetan spaniel breeders florida
    westwind tibetan spaniels
    tibetan spaniel calendar 2019

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Exceptional content plays a major factor in search engines.

About 16 months ago, two ladies that owns a business together that we managed, came to see us about building them a website, but not another one for their business. They're very religious ladies and they wanted a website they could do their personal witness on.

It took us 8 months working with them to bring their website together. They're 8 month into posting their articles on their website and they're on the top of the first page in 13 search engines including the top three, Google, Bing and Yahoo.

I noted you're using the Vantage theme which is very seo friendly. They're also using the Vantage theme.

We've put no seo plugins on their site. They have a banner image that one of the ladies painted sitting on her deck looking at a stream on her property. They each use one page per article with only one image at the top on each page.

On their Masthead they use 2 words that just happens to be major words in what they're doing. On the right side of the Masthead, where the "get in touch" thingy is on the Vantage theme, they put the title of their site.

The 2 words on the Masthead are the 2 major words in their search string that people do a search on.

delstu has given you some, that I would think would be, pretty strong words in anyone's search strings.

Think about it. Are people searching for an association, or are people searching for the Tibetan Spaniel, and then an association shows up in their search string along with Tibetan Spaniels. I would also think you need to seo and get listed into Tibetan Spaniels, and other animal associations.

The 2 ladies are driving people to their website with the 2 words on their Masthead. In the search engines it shows those 2 words and on the right side of those 2 words it gives the title of what their site is all about. Their Uniques and return visitors are growing everyday. The site has a lot of written content and images only where they need to be, at the top of their articles which sets the tone for their articles.

Good luck with your site, beautiful animals.
    Last edited by bleau canon; May 18th, 2019 at 01:06 AM.
    delstu likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    Bleau always gives good advice, I just hope we are not getting ahead of ourselves. I was planning to drip-feed, one step at a time.

Great content is your most powerful SEO tool. My favorite keyword research tool returns these keywords as the most popular:
    tibetan spaniel puppies for sale
    tibetan spaniel (this is the only competitive keyword)
    tibetan spaniels (Google treats singular and plural as the same)
    tibetan spaniel puppies
    tibetan spaniel dog
    tibetan spaniel pictures
    tibetan spaniel breeders
    tibetan spaniel information
    tibetan spaniel puppy for sale
    tibetan spaniel dogs
    tibetan spaniel face watch
    tibetan spaniel for sale
    tibetan spaniel dog custom photo
    tibetan-spaniels
    cheap tibetan spaniel

Pictures and images are important. You should have one on each page.
    Members of your club could help a lot with your SEO. Ask them to upload pictures or videos of their dog, they can be in it too. And let them tell their story. Let them know you will feature them on the website.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon View Post
    Think about it. Are people searching for an association, or are people searching for the Tibetan Spaniel, and then an association shows up in their search string along with Tibetan Spaniels. I would also think you need to seo and get listed into Tibetan Spaniels, and other animal associations.
    Thanks all for replying. This is the key part I think, and really obvious and yet not so obvious when you're starting out. This website started life long before I took over as a site for the members of the association. BUT, I think it could be so much more.....I want to to start being pulled into searches for "Tibetan Spaniel", and maybe I can make that happen using some of the suggestions you've all made, or maybe actually.....I can't. The trouble is the association are primarily concerned with their members, but equally they do have the best interests of the breed at heart. I think this could be served by them attracting more people to the site and connecting more with the passionate breeders.

They aren't used to creating new exciting content, it took me 3 months to get the FAQ page agreed and posted. But I won't give up yet. I need to sow some more seeds for new content, such as owner stories/blogs, photo galleries etc. The old site had virtually NO pictures and this one doesn't have many.

I think perhaps having got the site brought into the 21st century, I need to revisit both the design and how to get new regular content.

*scratches chin*......

Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    The association needs to decide if this site is to be just for their members, or the best interests of the breed. If strictly for the members then this discussion will have been a waste of time. If for the breed, they need to loosen the controls and allow you to do just that.

Remove Ads