Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Free Domains!"

Member #
    What's with all the free domain sites, where you have to have 100 of unique visitors a day. Or make points by referring more members. Are these sites for real? Will they actually give you a domain? Has anyone tryed it?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    There's no such thing as a free lunch. Domains are $8 USD so you shouldn't even bother with "free" ones.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The old adage "you get what you pay for" is magnified ten times over with the Internet. "Free" does not, for all practical intents and purposes, exist. Like filburt says, go to GoDaddy and spend $8.95 a year US and do it that way.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    What? Everyone told me GoDaddy was a real hassle, and there all pissed off that they bought their domain there.

The problem is, I don't have a credit card, nor a bank card, or access to one... So I can't buy my own domains.

And another things, I'm Canadian, so the price rises. Bah, I hate the ex-change rate.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I don't know where you heard that about GD but I've bought two domains from them and transfered one to them and the experience was perfect.

If you have PayPal you can use Tucows (see the review here for URL) but that's ~$14 USD. My suggestion would just be find a friend or somebody else with a credit card to get one.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    i had no trouble with godaddy. it worked the very next day after I ordered from them. Then, it took only two days to have the namservers changed. I also only had to pay $65 for 10 years of owning my domain name
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    First you can't get a domain name for free. You can get a URL Redircection. cjb.net. Try cjb.net. Your address would be www.yourname.cjb.net I heard that cjb.net now have pop-up ads.

I know of another one that doesn't have pop-ups but I'll get back to you on that. Hope it helps.

Peace :beard:

Member #
    Originally posted by Chris
    The problem is, I don't have a credit card, nor a bank card, or access to one... So I can't buy my own domains.
    Not true - there are registrars that will accept cheques or money orders for payment. The only drawback is that the domain name won't be registered until the registrar receives your payment - and some will hold it until the cheque actually clears.

I've been paying for domains this way and haven't had any problems.

Member #
    Check This Out

I found a site where you can get a domian name for free. Like www.yourname.com. The site is Get Free Domain. You only have your domain name for one year but you also get free web hosting with it. There are also no pop-ups or banners. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Peace :beard:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I would still seriously recommend buying it so that you legally own it and they can't yank it away from you if they find it useful for their purposes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads