Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Was wondering if the hosting guru's could give me some advice.
    I am web designer and have designed a few websites for customers that often dont have the time to set up domains, and hosting plans.

So I thought I could set up my own server at home and host all my clients sites as a learning excercise, (they fairly small sites not much traffic a day) for a smaller fee than they paying now.

But realised that was not a good choice as I would need another adsl connection coming into my house to support the server, as using my own personal connection would not be reliable enough.

On the other hand I thought of buying a large amount of webspace say 250mg with 10 gig worth of traffic and split the large account into several smaller accounts for my clients, each of the sites I have made are only like 5 megs in size, that way I dont have any problems concerining hardware isssues and I put all the responsibilty on the hosting company, making it easier for me. I guess my thoughts are how many 5 meg sites would you stick on a 10gig traffic limit and is this a good idea?? any websites or resources regarding this would be greatly appreicated!!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Totally depends on the amount of traffic... 100% A 5MB site could generate 20megs of transfer, or 200 gigs of transfer a month... any more of an idea than "small" amount of traffic? Also depends how your site is coded (i.e. does the user download all 5megs at first visit, or only 20k?)

And, yes, it's a great idea Home hosting is always a bad idea... always.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd pretty well agree with what Brak said, although I will say that most sites with that little storage space don't have a lot of useful content to offer and therefore don't have much per se in the way of traffic. So I think you could easily get between 25-30 in an account like you've got in mind. I won't say 50 because sites grow and some of your sites will draw bandwidth; it's just the law of averages. But I think 30's reasonable.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    For about $15 there are a multitude of hosting companies offering 1GB or so of space and 10-20GB of bandwidth per month to resellers... (with Control Panel, MySQL etc. all included)...

I would be inclined to work on the basis of allocating 30MB at least to each account... this is because if they also have e-mail then this must be included in the consideration as they make not check their e-mail for a while and stuff could build up...

Often a good idea to leave yourself a bit of free space on a reseller account too, just in case your 5MB customer suddenly decides he/she wants to build a 100MB megasite... having to move them can often be a pain, especially if they have e-mail, upgrading is far easier... therefore if you went for a 1GB reseller plan I would, personally, always leave 300MB or so free.. just in case...

..you can do the maths as well as I can :-)

Sean

ps. if you want a "learning exercise" for about $35/month you should be able to get your hands on a "Virtual Dedicated Server"... with that you need to do the server admin too... :-)

Member #
    home hosting is a bad idea , for one it may be against your dsl providers TOS . another if one of the sites has a burst in traffic all of a sudden you may not be able to support there need ..

dont become scared because you see alot of Newbie Hosts selling plans with 500mb of space and 50gig of bw for a single site. your market will be you clients that you design sites for. start out with a reseller package from a hosting company and go from there. just be careful of companies overselling there servers..

dont stress too much about unlimited anything or 100% uptime .. server do have problems sometime , and they are not 100% ..

hope this helps

off topic"Hi WDF , i been away for awhile --doing some work "heheh
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    I'm inclined to go with Sean's last suggestion, and I think TheGAME might back me up on this (please?). It would work out being less hassle for you and you'll probably deliver a better quality product.

Hey Gemini.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're damn right I'll back you up on that. Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate home hosters. Anything that cheats a customer is not okay with yours truly.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    thanx for all the advice:
    Just 2 questions:

Question 1:
    I found this site: http://www.qualityhostonline.com/hosting.htm
    but was wondering seeing I am in New Zealand will it be slower seeing this host is in the US, or will you not even notice the difference. Is this fairly cheap?

Question 2:
    If I had say 5 clients accoutns on the one hosting package, how would I seperate each account, because there will be like 5 index.htm pages and that cannot happen, is there where subdomains come into play?

thanx for all your help people, very interesting to see what some of you say about it.

Member #
    That host doesn't appear to offer addon domains. You want a host that will offer add on domains, which are different from parked domains. Parked domains allow you to point multiple domains to the same index.html page. Add-on domains are just that: totally seperate websites. www.hostony.com/hosting.html offers them, they are fairly inexpensive. If you're worried about response times, ping the host's site and some sites that belong to customers of the host if you can find it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you can reach the host itself in good time, it's a reasonable assumption that you'll also reach their clients in good time as well. Personally, I don't notice a great deal of difference (usually half a second) between a North-American-based site and one that is overseas. I can live with half a second myself.

The other stuff is more 'Nix specific, so I'll leave that up to the others to tell you about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads