Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Buying servers?

Member #
    I would be interested in knowing what the process would be to purchase aserver (in a datacentre) and use it for hosting. I am nowhere near going to do it now, but when the time comes I would like to know.

So anybody got any useful information about purchasing one or any prices or anywhere I can actually buy one?

Thanks in advance, will7.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    I presume you mean a dedicated server?

This thread on Sitepoint came out trumps in a google search, While this may give you some other info.

As far as buying them goes, I don't know, but reputable hosts such as www.hostony.com for example offer them. Though as you are in the UK, remember that you have no legal comeback if they run off with your money. (which I doubt Hostony would, but others may).
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have delt with managed.com based in california and they are pretty good and their prices are great. However they do not handle colo accounts so your only option is to 'rent' their servers. That is probably the route you want to go anyway if you start handling that many accounts. Colo is great but you are usually stuck on your own if problems arise since the hardware belongs to you. The good thing about managed.com, is the server is unmanaged, they install the os you want and cpanel/whm. And basicly give you the reigns to the server to do as you wish. So in a sense its like colo. Take a look at their faq it might answer some of your questions.

BTW in case you dont know, colo(co-location) means you give your server to a host/datacenter and they plug it in for you. So you would have to actually buy a server. Generally this option offers the most flexability, and is second only to if you owned your own datacenter.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Personally I'd start with renting one, as the hosting company takes care of HW failures, data backup, etc.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads