Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a web host with ASP support. Quite frustrating task, since majority of hosts mentioned here are Unix based.

I've found this host http://www.webhost4life.com

Their basic package seems to be perfect for me. And I know that unmetered traffic does not exists, but I hope that they would allow at least 3 Gigs/month.

However, there are two things that turn me down:
    Agreement states "$60" for backup retreival, while website states "$30". Cost does not bother me, but the fact that these 2 don't match does;
    Agreement states "full refund" while it also mentions that setup fees are "not refundable". So it looks like a "partial full refund", if such thing exists aranoid:

If anyone had any experience with them please share...

Thank you all
    Kest.

I found these threads that look to be similar to yours. Do any of them help?

If they don't a human will be along soon anyway to help you out more.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    There's no difference between a web host and an ASP host other than the latter is guaranteed to obviously offer ASP. I'd avoid the host because it's ridiculous that they charge for backup restoration.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I e-mailed them ages ago about what the unlimited bandwidth meant (what their bandwidth restrictions are) and I have yet to get an e-mail back, so their support isn't too good....

I'm using Brinkster myself. Their support is good (e-mail usually within 12 hours, can be a lot quicker, livechat and phonesupport), not too expensive ($12.95 for 200 MB/10 GB a month), a lot of components, 25 POP3 e-mail addresses, and some other stuff.

Edit: why is unlimited censored?!
    K i n g s

Several handy ASP Resources:
    4guysfromrolla | aspin | ASP101 | AspIt | learnasp

Several handy ASP.NET resources:
    ASP.NET | .NET Experts | O'Reilly .NET | AspIt | 4guysfromrolla

Several paid ASP/ASP.NET webhosts:
    Brinkster | Maximum ASP | Clicktech | Nodehosting | Uplinkearth | Webhost4life

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Originally posted by Kings
    Edit: why is unlimited censored?!
    It isn't anymore, was an old relic from ads people kept posting offering unlimited services.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Originally posted by filburt1
    It isn't anymore, was an old relic from ads people kept posting offering unlimited services.
    lol, ok
    K i n g s

Member #
    Thanx for the input guys !

Brinkster does seem like a good choice for ASP, but I was hoping to get a package under $10/month - exactly what they are missing to fill the gap between their SE and X4 plans.

However, their price seems to have changed. It's $15.95 now and does not include phone support

I'll check those hosts you mentioned.

Thanx again filburt1 & Kings :classic:

Kest.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Kest, I would recommend the one host that I use for myself and my clients when I get to pick: Sectorlink. Look at their value hosting page and you will find a few plans under the $10 USD/month range. I've been using them for very close to a year now for myself and my clients and other than a few minor hiccups (at least some of which weren't their fault but the fault of bugs in the software they use), I've had absolutely no problems with them.

As far as backup retrieval is concerned, all of the hosts I've ever known do charge for the retrieval and restoration of backup if it's determined that the client is at fault (e.g. the client accidentally deletes a file, or decides to upload part of a database overtop of an existing one). I think that's what the host is referring to there, and if I were to venture a guess, I'd say that the price would be $60 since most seem to be between $60-$75. (Mind you, the discrepancy is rather disturbing.)

For you ASP fans out there: I will be testing another host over the next few days with a semi-personal project and will post the results to a new thread at some point probably late next week (27th-28th). Stay tuned.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you TheGAME1264

I narrowed my options to UplinkEarth and SectorLink

On three occasions I called SectorLink during afterhours and I always get to talk to a live person - one of the tech support representatives. Very helpfull and professional replies :classic: I was really pleased as this definately beats WebHost4Life's business-hours-only policy! :dead:

With UplinkEarth I did not have so much luck as their toll-free number "could not be completed as dialed" (although I checked and rechecked numerous times the phone number) and it also mentioned about some "technical difficulties"

I also did some web research and, to my surprise, not a single complain on SectorLink, while UplinkEarth did have a grain of salt.

So I signed up with SectorLink and, I hope you don't mind, used your adamwebdesign.ca website as a referral

Thank you again and we'll see how it turns out,
    Kest.

P.S.: If SectorLink would allow to customize their packages I would not hesitate so much and would signed up sooner.

Member #
    Originally posted by Kest
    However, their price seems to have changed. It's $15.95 now and does not include phone support
    [/B]
    Yeah, I forgot about that. They've recently changed their prices (it used to be $12.95), and they never had phone/chat support (that also recently got added).

I'm going to pay for another year at brinkster this month, and I can still get it for the old $12.95 price, as long as I extend this month:classic:.
    K i n g s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads