Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,
    Here's the dilema.....
    I have a current small site. It's free from my Service Provider. Have a domain name with redirecting because the name from my provider was enormous. I'm running out of space on the ftp server. I'm allowed only 10 meg, running up on 7+ meg. I have a couple of 25 mb files on my computer that I would like to link to from one of my pages. In other words, I would like to extend my ftp space to my computer.
    So I went to a dns service and registered a name through them. And they have my ip address of my computer, as of today. I realize I will have to update it manually. Thats fine. But I don't know how to really use that name I registered, or the dns service for that matter.
    So then I got mwe a trial version of Gene 6 ftp server. Looks cool and simple. I thought.

Is what I'm wanting to do possible? If so, can someone help or point me in the right direction?

Basically, some upload links on one of my pages needs to point to the file on my computer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Casey

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If I'm understanding you correctly, then all you really need to do is set up links of the form ftp://(your DNS server provider's name) and set up Gene 6 to allow for anonymous FTP to your site (which I believe it will...by the way, it's a kickass FTP server, I've found. I have it on my box.)

The question may come from your ISP. If they catch you running an FTP server with any kind of traffic (even only 25 MB at a time can add up in a big hurry), they reserve the right to shut you off any time they want for "abuse of resources" or "excessive bandwidth consumption" or (insert copout here).

What you may want to do, they do exist, is find hosts that allow additional FTP accounts. I don't think there are many that offer this, but if no one else does, Rogers Cable here in Ontario will allow for this through their business class hosting plans (and for those of you who do live in Ontario, I was just as surprised to discover that the #2 Spawn of Satan will offer something semi-useful such as this, but they really do.)

Then, you either set up an anonymous FTP to a subdirectory containing only those files, or you set up a login/password-based version of same.

It costs a little more money but 1) if you can get it, it generally is within a host's Acceptable Use Policy, and 2) you're not going to have your bandwidth sucked away by someone downloading a 25 MB file off of you.

Just something to think about.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads