Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: How much?

Member #
    Hi!

What's the average/mean cost of producing a web site? In figures.

(I know web designers do it for free - I'm asking how much can I take to produce a page/site)

And what price difference would you all take between designing for companies or civillians?

//Henke

Member #
    Omg, why doesn't anyone answer?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Well first off calm down, you barly posted this question a few hours ago and its still very early in the day here in the US.

Second, This question has been touched on many times here, do a search and you will turn up many different answeres.

What it comes down to is there is no avrage cost to produce a site/page. Its all relative to your expertise, their desires, your timeframe, etc.. A certin price might be good for one person, but another might find way to low, and another might find to high. Take your clients budget into consideration, take your needs into consideration and come to a happy medium.

Just for the sake of argument, it would not be uncommon for me to charge about $3,000-$5,000+ US for a 'normal' site.

NOTE: What are you reffing to when you say, "I know web designers do it for free"?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Omg, why don't you use the search function?

Honestly, it's because we've all answered this question at least 10 times in the past few months. Also your questions are kind of hard to understand. "Companies or Civillians" Companies are run by civillians last I checked. You can't just assume that there's a clear cut line between private individuals and large corperations. It's a smooth transition including the largest market in the world, small business owners - who are in fact a company and a 'civillian' at the same time.

Also, what do you mean web designers do it for free? And what do you classify as 'produce' ? Clarify your answer and you might recieve some more helpful responses
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Hi again. Sorry I didn't use the search function. Will do that next time.

Thanks for the reply glyakk, it was helpful, and well over what I would imagine possible to charge . By saying that web designers do it for free I was implying that I would get answers like: "Learn web design yourself and you can get yourself a site for free!!!"

Companies - civillians, of course, yes, there is no clear cut, but there is a clear cut when it comes to costs of services. (like a company who wants a site) I can't imagine a civillian who runs a company say: "What the heck, I'll pay for it" like he was at a bar or something. However, I can imagine a civillian going to a web designer and asking him to produce something for his band he sings/plays in (like my cousin does).

That's the difference between the two, and that was what I was trying to get at.

Hmm... producing, does it need an explanation? Well... Going home, scetching, doing some photoshop/css work, scetching some more, writing the code and creating the images, putting it all together, start filling the pages with content (if given to you), starting looking at the server-scripting side of it, getting all the server-scripts together, trying to make the site work in Internet Explorer (gaaaah), and then finally handing it over to the contractor who ordered it.

So, let's talk about the my real question. As I said before, thanks glyakk, for the answer. I had something like $140 in mind, but I think I'm gonna raise that to $270. The site in question is a static site, with some information and the only dynamic bit being a contact form.
    The contracter would be a 2-person company with quite large yearly expenditure. What do you guys think of this?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You seem to misreading some of how this industry works. Take for example, a small business owner. He's a company, yet the funds are coming straight out of his pocket. Then, what if a band wants a website, but they're all paying for it? You can't just give it a 'clear cut' You have to work on value-based pricing and accomidate for your client's funds.

As far as producing, yes it does need an explination. If you look for the job description of a "Web Producer" no where will you see sketches, etc. It's all coding, mostly HTML Architecture. So, don't be so condesending.

Your real question still remains unsaid. We have no clue what kind of working you're asking about (Flash? PHP? HTML? Copywriting? Designing? Photography? Illustration? 3-D?) and we don't know how big (2 pages? 1000? Integration into a CMS?)

In any case, $270 is low for what I think you understand. Bidding too low will only make the client think you're inexperienced.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    You're right. It's no clear cut, but the band will be for free.
    Sorry if I seem condesending, it's not my intention.

You're right about being unclear in that manner too. I was thinking of HTML + CSS + Server-scripting in C# for a contact form. 6-7 pages. No CMS, but a little photography for the header on the site (if the client wants it), no flash and no php, no 3-d and no illustration...

Well, I am actually not that experienced, since I can't call myself a web developer, and I don't do it for a living, but rather know my way around some stuff. How would you price then?

thanks

Remove Ads