Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The person I'm buying a domain name from requested the names of my PRIMARY and SECONDARY domain name servers. I've never transfered a domain name before so I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about. The servers are what host the DMN, correct? What if I haven't choosen a server yet? Can I still get the name transfered? I'm not sure how to answer this person. Can anyone explain the domain name transfer process? I've bought many domain names before but I've never put websites up on them.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Domain Name Servers (or DNS servers) are the servers that are in charge of determining what sites go with what IPs/directories/etc. on a web host (e.g. the domain name servers for webdesignforums.net are:

NS.HMDNS.NET 216.118.72.3
    NS2.HMDNS.NET 216.118.72.4

So HMDNS.net (also known as Hosting Matters) would receive a request for www.webdesignforums.net from a web browser through its DNS server and say "okay, I need to go to X directory on Y server and pull up Z page for the browser."

You don't necessarily have to assign a DNS when you buy them at the time (you can "park" your domain usually at the registrar for free), but you should be able to change this information via some sort of control panel at any time. He shouldn't have to ask you for this information (good registrars like Tucows and GoDaddy don't).

I hope this helps (and I hope that someone can explain this a little clearer than I have).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    GAME is right, instead of asking you for your name servers, he should give you the username and password for the account that he has with the registrar (which you should then change yourself), so you can login to the control panel and control the domain yourself. If he has multiple domains on the same account, that may be why he's doing what he's doing, but see if he can place your domain on a seperate account for you to have for yourself. You dont want to email him everytime you need to make changes to your domain, do you? You will need to add the name servers however, which will be given to you by your host. Or you can park for free, as already mentioned, if you dont have webhosting.
    The Name Servers point to your webhost. When someone requests your domain, your domain points to the name servers, and the name servers point to the directory on your webhost where your pages are (like the game said). That's my shot at explaining, hope it helps.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    e.g. the domain name servers for webdesignforums.net are:Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    You don't necessarily have to assign a DNS when you buy them at the time (you can "park" your domain usually at the registrar for free), but you should be able to change this information via some sort of control panel at any time. He shouldn't have to ask you for this information (good registrars like Tucows and GoDaddy don't).

I already have a domain name registered at godaddy.com. If I told the seller to transfer it to my account there, would that make sense?

Member #
    Good choice going w/ GoDaddy...this option will work, especially easily (I think) if the seller uses GoDaddy too. Under the manage domains section, there is a change ownership option. Follow those prodecures, and instruct the seller to do so (or similiar procedures, if he uses a different registrar) , and you should have control of the domain after all is said and done. Good luck!

Remove Ads