Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I hope I'm not violating board rules (if I am please delete this post) but I thought people would be interested in knowing that GoDaddy is offering .us domains for $5. It will say $6.95 until you check out, where you'll see your discount. Not a huge discount, but it prompted me to buy one and put up a small US troop tribute.

And while I've started the post, what do people think about a .us domain? I recently registered one for a business because their business name and all logical variations were taken in the .com domain. I suggested to them that if people see 100 .com ads, and one .us ad in a given day, they may remember the .us domain over the others. There is the risk of our customers typing in the .com version of his domain though... Weigh in!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I think it's pretty dumb to buy anything but one of the normal three TLDs. Everybody knows them, but who knows about .us, .biz, .tv, etc? Often (obviously an exception here) they're even more expensive.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    10 year .com ownership at godaddy for $60
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I agree with filburt that name recognition is the most important. On that note, if it's a network or networking company it should be .NET, if it's an organization it should be .ORG, and if it's a commercial business or anything else (like a forum or a homepage), it should be .COM.

Obviously, if it's a school, it should be .EDU and a governmental institution, it should be .GOV, but those names are restricted to institutions of those classifications.

If the company's name or a variation of the name is unavailable, that's when it's time to get creative. A dot-com name doesn't always have to be exactly the company's name or alias (although that's preferable for name recognition).

For example, I often eat at a sushi restaurant called Hiro's Sushi. I'm relatively certain they could have gotten www.hirosushi.com, but instead, they got www.sushiexpress.com. I have never forgotten Sushi Express, and I now order delivery from them all the time.

It's important to learn the psychological triggers in the minds of the populus that invoke memory, equally as important as learning those that invoke emotional response from design. Some names make people want to remember them. There are also "keywords" that you can use in names that make them more memorable. The secret is using the words that apply to your target audience.

Member #
    Well, I disagree, with both of you, filbert & transio. Just because .com, .net & .org were the original standards, doesn't mean we have to stick with them. My business is a case in point - wildbytes was the final name I decided on, after struggling through about 200 other choices. Although wildbytes.com was taken, I decided to stick with it anyways and registered under wildbytes.biz (and wildbytes.ca, since I wanted to at least take up that domain name in my own country). I didn't really find it a big issue that wildbytes.com was taken, since it is located in Illnois and I'm located in Toronto, Ontario (Canada, for those for you not up on your geography :classic: ).

I haven't really found it to be a problem teaching my clients that my site is located at .biz instead of .com - many of them found it rather unique and appropriate, since "biz" is kind of a current term these days. If you educate you clients, they will remember and learn.

After I settled on my business name of wildbytes, I was not prepared to back down anymore - it's personal, since my first name is Wil and my last name starts with the letter "d". The business is computer & web related, so the "bytes" was a natural fit.

Besides, I thought it was rather humerous that the wildbytes.com site (which is not directly accessible) is an "adult-swinging" site :laugh: (roflmao tremendously)

Member #
    I agree with all of you (if that's possible). I have discussed with my client before and again now, my concern that they may lose traffic by visitors typing in .com instead of .us . However, until the search engines start crawling our page, the main way visitors will be visiting the site is through direct email, and by seeing their business cards and letterhead. If they have their business cards, hopefully visitors will read the whole domain and type it in on their computer, and the same goes for the letterhead. Direct emails and the search engines shouldn't be a problem, as visitors will simply click a link.

Transio and filburt bring up valid points though, and there is risk in going with a .us domain. The site I'm doing is a DJ site, and they both also have their stage names in a .com pointing to this site too. We are now looking into a .com to purchase that will point to this site, and if we see problems w/ the .us domain, the next round of stationary will reflect a new site. Thanks all for your input!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Let me know how it works out

One thing you might want to do is try to get a banner to your dot-US site on the home page of the dot-COM equivalent.

Then, you can see how much of your traffic has HTTP-REFERRER listed as the dotcom site.

That way, you can see exactly how much of your traffic is misdirected (minus the percentage who just close the browser out of frustration).

Member #
    I've contacted our .com equivelant, because that is our most desired address of all. Right now it has a coming soon page, so I actually inquired about buying it from them if they aren't going to use it. If that doesn't work out though, I may see if we could exchange banners, that's a good idea. I'll keep you all posted, i'm sure you'll be on the edge of your seats.

Member #
    i'm sure you'll be on the edge of your seats.
    Hurry, I'm about to fall off

Member #
    hey, you're alternative domain worked out...I hope to be as fortunate as you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads