Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: hostonce

Member #
    heres a good one except i dont know if i can get them to support mysql but i have e-mailed them asking if vbulletin will work with there hosting and if it doesnt i'll ask them if they can do mysql unless anyone else on here uses them and has mysql or a vbulletin forum but anyways heres the link its 5 bucks a month
    http://www.hostonce.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Do not use them, they say "unlimited" webspace which is ridiculous and no professional host claims.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It does go very nicely with the "unlimited" transfer though. And the Terms of Service? That's a work of Machiavellian art.

http://www.hostonce.com/termsandconditions.htm

I especially love the "we will own your domain name and won't transfer it to you for six months after you've paid for our services in full" bit. Gold. Truly, truly gold. Not only that, the no-backup policy in conjunction with the bandwidth policy sure leaves the door open for someone who may be somewhat naive about web hosting to take a nice business hit.

This would be something I might (read: wouldn't unless I put something up there with nothing to lose) use for a personal playground, but nothing else.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    If you're going for a "personal playground", you're better off with a dirt cheap host that has the features you need (e.g. $1-2/month).

filburt1: I think you're too hard on hosts with "unlimited" features. For hard disk space, this is reasonable as long as you don't have the Open Directory Project on there (1.24 GB!!!). With bandwidth, it's true that they'll get rid of you if you use too much, but in general if you use less than 10GB you're fine. Some of the best experiences with hosts I've had offered unlimited something. And I'd rather have unlimited space than hosts promising 800MB storage with 50GB of bandwidth for $2/month .

But, with this host in particular, TheGAME1264 makes a good point.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    rjahrman: he's not too hard at all on them. The fact of the matter is that it is physically impossible for a host to make an "unlimited" claim due to restrictions on hard drive space and bandwidth. Email accounts and email forwards are a slightly different issue due to the fact that they generally don't take up anywhere near as much space on a server, and people don't use email storage space as much as they do HD space.

The reason filburt and I dislike "unlimited" hosting is that the people who make the claims generally offer inferior service, bizarre terms of service when they offer any at all, little to no service, and are usually gone within 3 months.

I have one particular client who is hosted on Interland (who recently caught the "unlimiteditis virus", and his site is constantly going down and causing a ton of grief for me as a webmaster because I'm wasting time making phone calls to the support department to resolve things.

I'd rather go with (and do go with) a host that clearly lays out the limits for each of its plans, but allows for flexibility and growth. In fact, the host I use (Sectorlink) once cut a client of mine a huge break; he had a traffic spike for some reason or another and instead of using the 3 GB he was allotted, he used over 8 in a month. Sectorlink just looked the other way and never billed for the overage then or since (although it's always hovered around 3 GB and never much over if at all, which generates more than enough traffic for him to deal with.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads