Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Now that i've improved with my gfx, and some have wanted my services in gfx, vbulletin and web design. So what every good freelancer needs is his own portfolio, i thought that getting proper paid hosting wouldn't really be suitable, as it will only be a small portfolio with wallpapers, past work, the odd script, and some other things. So does anyone else have their own portfolio for gfx and other stuff, if so can you tell me what you used for hosting, whether it be another person willing to offer space, or a free or paid host for such things

Member #
    For a small portfolio, like I have (in my sig) I would recommend Diamond Internet Solutions. For $12/year, you get 10mb of space, 1Gb traffic/mo, 5 email addys, CPanel, PHP, etc. They have larger plans too, but I found that for a small portfolio of just a few pages, this would be plenty (it has turned out to be). W/ a domain from GoDaddy for $8, you can have your own domain and portfolio for less than $20. Well worth it in my opinion, looks very professional, and doesn't have any ads or crap that a free host may stick to ya.

Member #
    Is there any other hosts that have a free webspace offer which can be upgraded, as at the moment i have only just turned 16, and am not able to purchase online at this time, but within a month i will be able to

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If you have a checking account your bank might offer a Visa Check card which lets you deduct from your account using a card that's accepted just like a Visa CC. IIRC though everywhere in the US you have to be at least 18 to get a checking account.

There are no good free hosts that don't have ads, period. Can't you just put your stuff on your current host (whatever your host for the site in your sig is for)?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    edit: gotcha filburt
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can PM him with it, that's all...

Member #
    (Now let's hear from someone who is also under 18 . . . )

Actually, filburt, I believe most banks allow teenagers to get checking accounts in one form or another, although they obviously require your parent's permission. Another thing you might look at is a pre-paid card like Visa Buxx (www.visabuxx.com); I believe it costs about $10/year, and it doesn't have interest other than it costing you $2 to put money on the card.

As for getting a free host without ads, you can try. Well, you can search around at www.clickherefree.com; some of them might work for you.

If you don't get a domain, get a (free) .tk name from www.dot.tk.

If you were leaving the free host in a month or two anyway and so don't care about your account being deleted, another option would be to get an account with a host that has ads and use code to stop their ads form appearing (search for it on Google . . . there's entire sites about this). If they deleted your account, you could just point the .tk name to a different host.

Hope this helps!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Originally posted by rjahrman

If you don't get a domain, get a (free) .tk name from www.dot.tk.
    I definitely wouldn't suggest that, they're so unprofessional-looking and I believe riddled with popups.

Member #
    It's more professional than something.cjb.net. As for the pop-ups, they only have one pop-up advertising themselves, and they have an option in the control panel to not show the pop-up. It's free to do that, you just won't be entered in their drawings for free t-shirts (oh darn ).

Of course, paying for a domain is by far the best way to go.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    ultimate, can't you get you parents to use their credit cards?
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads